(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Rewiring a 200 Amp electrical panel

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Default Rewiring a 200 Amp electrical panel

My 100 amp electrical panel is messy with all the wires that have been added over the years.

When I pay a licensed electrician to upgrade this to a 200 amp panel, will they make the wiring neat again?

I have seen some very neatly wired panels out there.

And yes, I am not referring to code compliance, just tidy cabling in the panel.

Opinions please.

I just had a panel replaced and the electrician made all the wires very neat. Maybe it depends on who does the work?

why bother. are you bored? what amperage do you actually need? did you do a load calculation on your house?
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post

When I pay a licensed electrician to upgrade this to a 200 amp panel, will they make the wiring neat again?
    Smaller panels tend to look like crap quickly. The panel in an average 100-200 upgrade usually winds up looking nice due to the added space.

I have done 200-200 change outs that wound up looking terrible in my own opinion because of many circuits and old wiring.

Bottom line is only your electrician can answer this question.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    ...When I pay a licensed electrician to upgrade this to a 200 amp panel, will they make the wiring neat again?...
    Many moons ago, I used to work in an electronic product development area. The engineers would create a new electronic product and it would have a "rats nest" of messy wiring.

It worked fine.

Then they would "clean it up" and run the wiring neatly for the final production design.

Many times it would no longer work!
    (Of course when rewiring it, someone connected a wire wrong... )

I would hope so.

When I change a panel I always strive to get the wiring organized and accessible.

Sometimes I will take the time just to clean up a messy panel even if I am not changing it. A little common sense and some wire cutters will do wonders.