Pine Floor Install

Users who are viewing this thread

dwilson37650

Reaction score
Installing a pine floor in a new addition. Boards will probably be 5-6 in wide. I am wondering how necessary it is to run the boards perpendicular to the floor joist. I would like to run them parallel. The sub floor is 3/4" T&G particle board with 4" of sprayed foam below. There is no basment below. If I don't nail the boards into the floor joist will it be a problem down the road?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Particle board is hardly a suitable substrate to nail flooring to. And I would fear that you could end up some wavy issues, running parallel.

Any chance of adding some 3/4 plywood on top?

Pine will be beautiful. Be absolutely careful to aclimatize the wood inside the building for a week before install. Be VERY careful to allow expansion gaps around the perimiter on all four walls.

dwilson37650

Reaction score
I really can't add 3/4 plywood due to the height problem it would cause. Any other ideas? I may just have to run it perpendicular and live with it. Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think there would be a risk of squeaks and warping if you didn't run the boards perpendicular to the joists, it would be a certainty. :eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I would hope the subfloor is OSB, and not particle board. Particle board looks fairly homogenous, OSB has big, discernable flakes and longer slivers of wood. Particle board will blow up like a sponge if it gets wet, OSB, assuming it has an exterior glue, should be fairly stable. Some hold nails as well as or better than plywood, but particle board can shatter.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Just to vent, my house was built with BOTH the 1x6 pine/fur subfloor and the 3/8" x 1.5" (IIRC) T&G oak flooring running in the SAME direction, perpendicular to the floor joists. Typically the subfloor is run at an angle. The movement of the subfloor has ripped almost every 4th or 5th tongue off the finished floor. It's a mess. It's a rip up and replace at this point.

I'd run it perpendicular.

See link for same question: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,462454,00.html

dwilson37650

Reaction score
Okay that settles it I'm running the boards perpendicular. I would hate to have to redo it in a few years when the boards start warping, squeaking, and ripping out. Thanks to all for the valued advice! (private note to lakee911... Go Buckeyes!!)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks