Problem with GE RR7 low voltage relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Blueshark

Reaction score
My son just moved into an older house that has a few low voltage ceiling light fixtures. As agreed, the previous owner kept one of the lights. My son didn’t get a chance to see how the light was connected to the GE RR7 relay installed in the connection box. He was able to replace the light connected to another low voltage relay since the original light was still there, but, is having problems with the RR7 relay to which no light was connected. The two relays seem different.
The attached picture shows the 120v/ac wires (black and white wires), the GE RR7 relay that has a black wire connecting it to the 120v black wire, and a single (smaller) black wire coming out of the ceiling connection box.
Using a test light bulb, socket and wires, we tried many different connections but were never able to get the light to turn on and off, using the wall low voltage switch. During one test, my son heard a low “pouf†sound coming out of the RR7 relay. I have the bad feeling that we have blown the RR7 relay. From what I have found on the Internet, they are difficult to find and are expensive.
I have searched this forum but can’t find any similar problem discussed. Would anyone have any idea on how to connect a light to this GE RR7 relay and where to buy them in Ottawa, ON, Canada?
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 7,890

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The RR7 is a low-voltage controlled, latching relay that can control line voltage devices up to 277vac. The small red/blue/black attached leads are:

Red - pulse on
Black - pulse off
Blue - common

The above leads are all low-voltage signals from the transformer and switch.

The relay is normally rated for up to 277vac and 20A, so it can handle a fair load.

When 24vac is momentarily applied to red, the relay closes, and it applies the line voltage to the attached lamp. When 24vac is momentarily applied to the black lead (both of these are the smaller leads attached to the relay), the internal relay contacts open, turning the attached thing off.

The load contacts would have 120vac attached to one side, and the lamp you want to control's black lead would attach to the other contact. The lamp's neutral connection (white) would not be attached to the relay at all, but needs to be attached to the supply's neutral connection.

So, if you attached 120vac to any of the smaller leads attached to the relay, you burned it up and it will need to be replaced.

Think of the relay as a latch - red pushes it closed to turn the load on, black pushes it open. It only takes a short pulse on those leads to open or close the relay. There has to be a low-voltage transformer somewhere to make this all work. that would also need line voltage going into it so you had the 24vac available to control the relay via the low-voltage switch.

This link is where I got that info from...it shows other things, but describes the relay operation... http://www.alarmsystemsdist.com/mc_files/2/ACF2C47.pdf

If none of this makes any sense, you'll probably have to call an electrician.

Handy Herb

Handy Herb
Reaction score
GE RR7 low voltage lighting relay system

My son just moved into an older house that has a few low voltage ceiling light fixtures. As agreed, the previous owner kept one of the lights. My son didn’t get a chance to see how the light was connected to the GE RR7 relay installed in the connection box. He was able to replace the light connected to another low voltage relay since the original light was still there, but, is having problems with the RR7 relay to which no light was connected. The two relays seem different.
The attached picture shows the 120v/ac wires (black and white wires), the GE RR7 relay that has a black wire connecting it to the 120v black wire, and a single (smaller) black wire coming out of the ceiling connection box.
Using a test light bulb, socket and wires, we tried many different connections but were never able to get the light to turn on and off, using the wall low voltage switch. During one test, my son heard a low “pouf†sound coming out of the RR7 relay. I have the bad feeling that we have blown the RR7 relay. From what I have found on the Internet, they are difficult to find and are expensive.
I have searched this forum but can’t find any similar problem discussed. Would anyone have any idea on how to connect a light to this GE RR7 relay and where to buy them in Ottawa, ON, Canada?
Thanks for your help!

I have just experienced the GE RR7 low voltage lighting system....Sorry it took from your 2009 post for me to find your answer....The relay operates on 24v from a low voltage control panel thus the blue, red, black wire configuration...THESE WIRES DO NOT CONNECT TO 110V AC EVER OR YOU WILL BLOW THE RELAY WHICH I THINK YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE.....The brass screws & holes at the base of the GE RR7 relay / switch are to be connected to your light fixture....There are many links to diagrams online that I will include in this email.....You must have a basic knowledge of electricity before tackling this project....
Here are some links hope they help (4 years after your post)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....3.0...0.0...1c.1.7.mobile-gws-hp.yRkfNMcM28I

Hope this helps Handy Herb

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks