Reliant WH wont keep the water hot!

Users who are viewing this thread

ninefall

Reaction score
I put this WH in in 2001. This last year I've had a weird problem. The 1st shower will only be luke warm, then once I let it re-heat the water, it will finally be hot. Lately I've been running the hot water 30 minutes prior to a shower so the water heater will kick on and heat the water up before I shower so I can have a hot shower. I shouldn't have to tell you how annoying this is and it does not matter what I have the temp set on.

Im assuming this is a thermostat issue, but with the water heater being 8 years old, is it worth it to replace the gas valve, or just put in a new water heater altogether?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Decision Theory 101

is it worth it to replace the gas valve, or just put in a new water heater altogether?

The chance of a new WH fixing the problem is virtually 100%. How much is the installed cost?

How much for a gas valve and what is the likelihood it will fix the problem?

50-50 you reach the 15 yr mark for this WH if you fix it.

Last edited:

ninefall

Reaction score
My mistake, its a "Reliance" I can get a generic control valve for around $90, and msrp is like $150. The damn thing is in decent shape other than this valve so Im stumped as to what to do. I really don't have the extra $ right now to replace the whole unit, although I would install it myself.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
generic control valve for around $90
The damn thing is in decent shape other than this valve so I really don't have the extra $ right now to replace the whole unit

OK, so 100% of $600 or so for a new WH = $600.
100($90/$600) = 15%.
If the chance of the $90 part fixing it is at least 15% then you should put the part in.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
It's the most common problem just like every other water heater installed; put it in and forget it.

This scenario causes the buildup inside the water heater that loses that once efficiency that everyone just looooooooves to number crunch thinking those numbers stay imperative after that first year...it doesn't.

When a water heater has to run longer cycles to accomplish temperature settings because of buildup, that's when mechanical failure begins.

The anode rod I promise is gone in that tank, unless you have what everyone doesn't have; good water.

If the water heater hasn't been drained once a year it is a inefficient water heater as it has to heat through a layer of sediment you won't remove from that tank at this point.

If you're broke then take your chances and replace the valve. You're still going to have a 8cyl car running on 6 leading to 4 or 3 the longer that water heater stays in operation as buildup in those tanks reduce the % of water containment and forces the unit to cost more money to operate.

So the lone rebel that has a water heater in his basement for 30 years thinking he has won the battle...is an idiot because technology advancement, burner AND thermostat designs have changed, and the required R value for insulating those water heaters are far greater and do a better job of slowing down, not stopping thermal loss.

The hard science is the majority of people operate their plumbing till it breaks, and rarely do they perform maintenance on their plumbing system to avoid creep-up issues.

But hey, I just got my plumbing license yesterday off a box of popcorn.

Cookie

Reaction score
I wonder, if, it is because most people don't realize or know, you need to take care of the water heater, or what to do. I know, I didn't.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Then there's guys like me that know better and still only change oil once every other year. :eek:
Bless my Ford

Reaction score
Then there's guys like me that know better and still only change oil once every other year. :eek:
Bless my Ford

Probably a good idea with a Ford. If you change it that infrequently the sludge will seal the leaks. Leakiest vehicles I've ever looked at were Ford trucks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks