Relief Valve Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Zipeh

Reaction score
I was done in the basement this morning then the relief valve on the oil furnance sort of popped and about 4 litres of water poured out. PSI at 30 and temp between 180 and 190. Just started getting cold out in the last week or so. the release valve is still leaking.. steady drip. PSI still at 30. Checked the expansion cylander ( not a bladder one ) and drained it.. was only air..which escaped and the PSI dropped to 0 for a while but is now back at 30 and release valve is dripping again.

i been reading online for a while now .. but not comming up with solutions. make is Kerr Comet 145 -- furnace is 7 years old and was last checked in march of this year i beleive.

i would call a tech but its canadian thanksgiving today so been trying to see if its anything i can effect.

im curious why the preasure keeps going up to high...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may get some answers to your question here, but your question should be in the Boiler section of the forum. This section is for household water heater, not boilers.

Zipeh

Reaction score
wrong terminology then .. its a oil furnace that heats my water which also supplies my house with heat through water heated baseboards.

and i just found the right drain valve for the expansion tank .. and drained out alot of water .. which was sooty.

when i closed off the valve from the furnace to the expansion tank the psi shot to 30 in 30s and the valve began to leak again. I took out 6-7 bucket of water before deciding to wait for a bit and see if the preasure goes back to normal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While that tank could last for a very long time, it does take periodic maintenance, or you'll have that sort of problem. It probably wouldn't be that hard to replace with a bladder tank. Those fail, too, but probably in the order of 7-10 years, and may not need any maintenance in between.

Zipeh

Reaction score
i am testing that theory now .. gona run down and check it .. i turned off the intake valve and the preasure seemed steady .... left it for 30 mins and... its at 22 psi.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks