Odd sized sink basket

Users who are viewing this thread

bugleg

Reaction score
I have an old slate sink (maybe from lab?) that has a odd sized drain basket--the ID is 2 3/8" and the OD of the recess is 3 3/8".

I've stopped by a few supply houses looking for something but struck out. I don't need anything fancy--just need to connect the sink to a 1 1/4" tailpiece.

Any ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if it was slate, probably soapstone, but that doesn't help. Check out kitchen sink fittings, they tend to be larger - you may find one of those that would work.

bugleg

Reaction score
Rereading my message it is worded poorly--I am looking for the basket itself, as my sink doesn't have one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If it was from a lab, then the drain fitting is probably some composite material and could be a 2" pipe size. Most of those did not have "baskets" in them. When they had to retain water, they used a standpipe in the drain fitting to provide for overflow protection. If you are looking for the entire drain fitting, not just the "basket" then you may have to look in the chemical waster section of specialty catalogs. The one you find will probably be a 2" thread so you will have to reduce it down to your pipe size.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks