2 bathroom fans don't work

Users who are viewing this thread

leotuzi

Reaction score
Maybe I'm in the wrong forum but I'll go ahead and post in hopes that someone with enough electrical knowledge can reply.

I have a bathroom fan in the main bathroom and one in a half bath. Lights and GFI outlets work but the fans don't.

I inspected all of the fuses and they're good.

I wonder where the problem lies.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do the fans humm when you turn them on? They could be corroded and the motor shaft has seized. Or, the switches are bad, or someone disconnected them. Checking out the switches is fairly easy if you have a test light or a multimeter.

You should have power on one side of the switch, and when you turn it on, you should have power on the other side. You might need to go into the attic to check for power at the fan itself. Sometimes you can access the connections from below, sometimes you can't.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
More info

Did both fans stop at the same time?

Are they tied into dehumistat switches?

Has there been any other electrical changes recentley?

If there is a timer or switch does this have power?

Need way more information even to guess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks