Issue with Lining Up Bathtub Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

sanrico

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I bought a replacement bathtub the exact size as the one I took out.

Before putting in the new tub, I measured the distance of the drain from the wall and they were the same. However, when we put in the new tub, it's off by about an inch or so. I am very confused how this could be and more importantly, how I can fix this (please see picture).

Will I have to pull the tub out (*shudder*) and extend that pipe? Or is there some sort of flexible something-or-another I can install from here?

Thanks!
IMG_0364.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Sorry to say unless you have access to the back of the tub it must be removed and the drain relocated. It is very rare that the drain location is the same on tubs from different manufactures.

John

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's almost never in the same place unless you get exactly the same model...you'll need to relocate the drain.

sanrico

Reaction score
You guys were right. I bought a drain kit and it adjusted in seconds. The harder part was getting the tub out again.

I used come-along straps to pull the tub onto it's side (resting on a plywood sheet. When it was about 45 degrees, I inserted a stud between the tub and the wall so it wouldn't come back down. Of course, I had to climb over the tub to get back there, but I had enough space to quickly replace the drain pipe.

Thank you all for your help. At least I didn't sit there trying to devise a way to make the wrong pipe work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks