(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: aquastat setting and boiler question

Hybrid View

Default aquastat setting and boiler question

hey guys

my boiler has a coil in it, in the summer i turn off the boiler and go to the hot water heater

the coil is garbage so this year i will probably leave the boiler and hot water heater and bypass the coil

so my question, is the aquastat mainly for the coil or is it to keep the boiler semi hot so it doesn;t have to fire up cold or both?

anyway what temp should i keep the boiler at? 160?

do u think it will be much more costly keeping them both on or roughly the same?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

It's a little bit of both. The coil needs the boiler to be some minimum temperature, or you'll not get the water passing through the coil hot enough as it flows through that water bath. But, some boilers don't work well if they cool off too much, so there is some minimum required on some. Many of the newest don't need to maintain a minimum temp and only fire it up when the system calls for heat. Most of the older ones can be damaged if the return water is too cold (a result of the supply being allowed to cool off too much). So, without knowing the make and model, it's hard to tell.

Most boiler aquastats have a high/low setting. You might be able to set the low to say something like 140 and the high to whatever is required when things need heat (maybe 180, or somewhere near there). They also often have a differential setting that gives it some flexibility about when it turns on. If yours is set up for an internal coil, it may not have that high/low/difference adjustment. You might be able to retrofit one to save some energy.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

its a 4 year weil mclein eg 55

Previous member

Turn the low limit as far down as you can get it. Better yet disable it altogether.

so basically we dont want to keep it 'pre heated' then

leave the the aquastat on lowest setting?

Previous member

No you don't. Look into a temperature modulating control for your system Tekmar, Taco, Beckett etc. What this control does is sense the outside air temperature and your boiler temperature. If it's really cold outside the boiler will operate near or at its high limit temp. If it's warmer outside the boiler temp will drop. these controls will save you a minimum of 15% and I have seen close to 30% on some systems. Payback avg. about 2 1/2 years.