Terminating a Fence at a Building

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
How do I end a fence at a building? I would think that my options are as follows:

* Only attach the last post to the building and don't bury the bottom of it.

* Put it in the ground only right next to the building? I'm concerned about putting the post in backfill that may have not completely settled and after some time the post (and fence section) will be all caddy wompus.

* Bury it and attach it. Will frost heave affect the building connection?

Thanks,
Jason

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are using wood..., and using the electrical analogy.....you must not
"short circuit" the structure to the ground with a fence post. Meaning a post in the ground cannot be bolted to the side of the house, as this provides a termite path.

Lakee911

Reaction score
My area is very prone to termites. I guess word on the street was that before I lived there, before it was subdivided, before it was Columbus Sewer Pipe Co., it was an apple orchard rumoured to be planted by Johnny Appleseed. Someone told me that they were prone to termites. Dunno. I can only verify that they mined the clay from the ravines for clay tile and later clay bricks. Can't verify the apple orchards.... but anywho...

My house had an infestation in the late 70s although it seemed to be quickly controlled and those buggers haven't been around that I've seen since.

Unfortunately the pesticides that they used back then (which I'm sure are illegal now) are probably old enough that they are no longer effective.

I wouldn't mind treating the house again for peace of mind, but I don't want to pay someone big bucks, nor do I want to drop a load of cash on some sub-par watered down homeowner bottle of what might as well be grape juice. What happened to the good stuff? :(

Agu

Reaction score
Depends on which part of the house the fence is terminated. Had a backyard fence where one end was at the garage and the other end was at living space. Bolted the post to the garage wall but put a post at the terminus at the living space. If the gate/wind/earthquake rattled the garage I didn't care, but I didn't want it rattling the windows of my bedroom.

Just another perspective.....;)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Skip the fence. Build a wall.

Actually, forget that. Build two walls and a roof. Then install two doors. And enjoy the walk from the house to the garage on those long, cold, wet days.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Skip the fence. Build a wall.

Actually, forget that. Build two walls and a roof. Then install two doors. And enjoy the walk from the house to the garage on those long, cold, wet days.

Need a good foundation for that too...

there is a guy around here who just keeps on building...his detached garage is now connected to his house by way of overhead enclosed walkway. Quite frankly the whole place is a mess....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks