(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: fiberglass shower basin out of level-help

DIY Junior Member

Default fiberglass shower basin out of level-help

Please help, I remodeled my shower and the plumber set the basin and it's out of level. ( 1 " in 4 feet) Also, great stuff was used under the basin. I now have a leak that is coming through the ceiling downstairs. Having problems locating the leak. I heard that great stuff has been known to eat away at plastic?

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

If you have a shower basin thats out 1in in 4ft you didn't have a plumber set it!. I don't know what great stuff is, but to fix this the base has to come up, if the base can still be used I don't know, sorry.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great Stuff is for sealing around windows and doors.

Not for supporting shower pans.

You may need to pull the pan and reset it.
    This time, someone needs to use a level when they are installing.

The pan may or may not need support underneath, depending on the pan,
    In fact, the expanding foam may have lifted the pan.

If you do need something under the pan, something like a mortor mix may be better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default base

If it is that far off level, it must be from front to back, so it was probably a Lasco base, since they make the front apron that much lower than the bottom of the base. This causes that out of level conditon if a 1" "filler" is not installed under it.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Depending on the type of foam used, the evenness of coverage, and the weight of the user, the pan might flex, the foam could disintegrate (some remains flexible, some crumbles), and that flex could allow either a fracture in the fiberglass (more common when it gets older) or the seal could work loose at the drain.

As Terry indicated, a non-compressible substance like mortar is cheap (probably less than the foam used), solid, and would last until you decide to remodel. It would also allow you to level the pan perfectly.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I'd yank it up pretty quick to avoid more serious damage in the floor around the shower basin.

Like others said, sounds like a handyman tried but failed to do this work even half properly!!

Previous member

Man, if that base has been allowed to set in the great stuff the only thing that will pull it up is a sawzall and a prybar.