drain tile around swimming pool

Users who are viewing this thread

likry

Reaction score
I am getting bids for a new inground pool. Two builders place drain tile at base of pool and backfill with stone or sand. Another backfills with dirt, then about 6" from grade places drain tile. He says this is the only way to get a proper slope away from the pool to drainage easement. This builder uses the excavated dirt to backfill, which in my area is very heavy, sticky, clumpy clay. My concerns with each are: will backfilling with stone/sand encourage water to accumulate and will a proper slope be obtained with the base of the pool at 3' below grade? Will backfillling with this clumpy clay leave big pockets for water to sit?
Though my yard is bone dry in summer, I do get a LOT of water in the spring from snow melt so this is a great worry to me. Water behind the liner can cause it to float.
Which of these methods is the better?
Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

"clumpy" backfill is not a good idea for any purpose, much less a pool. What type of pool is it? If it is a "gunite" pool, as long as it has water in it, it will not "float". If it does not have water in it, almost any pool could float if enough water were able to surround it, (not just accumulate at the bottom).

likry

Reaction score
It is a vinyl liner pool. I guess with liner pools if water seeps in behind the liner the liner can lift up off away from the floor and walls.
The builder also pours the concrete decking on the second day. He claims that it takes years, not days or weeks for the ground to settle. They overdig the pool only 12 inches so most of the decking in on undisturbed soil.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks