"Bubble, Bubble Toil and Trouble"

Users who are viewing this thread

Adam1

Reaction score
Hi, non-fix it inclined gent in need of some pointers.

Here is the situation that has transpired in our master bath in the last few days:

The toilet bubbles in the bowl when the shower is on. Also the water level is pretty low in the bowl.

The shower (stand up) backs up when the shower is on for more than five minutes and we stand around in ankle deep water. It takes a good hour to drain afterwards and is accompanied by its own bubbling sound.

The sink makes a third bubbling sound on occasion.

Here are the steps I have taken after reading about the situation on message board that are apparently not as august as this one and heeding their advice. From what I understand I am dealing with a vent clog issue.

1. Removed the top drain cover in the shower and tried to feed a 15' auger down there. However, the auger gets stuck on some kind of second drain cover a foot or two down and I cannot get it down.

2. Went to the roof and fed same said auger down the PVC pipe that I inferred is the vent pipe. The auger goes down all the way and meets no resistance at all. Too short perhaps?

At Lowe's the plumbing aisle guys mentioned snaking some kind of PVC pipe that comes outside my house from the ground. I spent an hour looking for it and could not find anything that met their description.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a clog in your drain system, not necessarily the vent system.

Are you on a city sewer or septic tank?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
You have a clog in the main line that your bathroom is connected to, you will not be able to clear it going thru the shower or sink, you will have to pull the toilet and snake it from there. :eek:

Cookie

Reaction score
Hi, non-fix it inclined gent in need of some pointers.

At Lowe's the plumbing aisle guys mentioned snaking some kind of PVC pipe that comes outside my house from the ground. I spent an hour looking for it and could not find anything that met their description.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

I wonder if the person at Lowe's was talking about the clean out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks