Brass Fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Glnow

Reaction score
I've got copper pipe under the house that comes out of the exterior walls at two a places. Attached at both of these is a galvanized 3/4" male NPT union that connects to a 3/4" female galvanized tee. Coming out of each tee is a brass hose bib and ¾ PCV going to the sprinklers.

The galvanized pieces look very corroded, the threads are starting to slowly leak and I want to replace them and redo the PVC going to the sprinklers. Do I use a brass union & tee to replace the galvanized parts that connected the copper to the PVC?

Thanks.

Glnow

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I attached a image of what I'm working with.
The tee in this location is so corroded that it leaks from the top surface as well. The PVC line goes of to the sprinkler auto valves about 1.5 ft to the right.

HJ, would you upgrade to soldered copper fittings in this situation?

Attachments

• DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 439

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
line

In your case, now that I SEE what you have, I would not, for two reasons.
1. You already have a brass female connection to start from. And,
2. You NEED a proper pressure type backflow/vacuum breaker valve between the tee and the irrigation system, and since it has a threaded connection staying with brass nipples and fittings will be the easiest way to do it.
DO NOT reconnect the PVC directly to the house system without that valve in the interests of your health and that of your neighbors who could get ill if your piping contaminated the local water system. One citizen of our city "pumped" about a million gallons of contaminated water from a duck pond into the city system a couple of years ago. No telling how many people thought they had the flue because it was not disclosed until about 6 months later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks