Woodford Y34 hydrant

Users who are viewing this thread

Garydaplummer

Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed
Reaction score
Provided...

That is provided it extends into a heated space where it actually shuts off. I say this because a customer had one freeze and burst but the seat end of it was still inside the exterior wall, the contractor who originally installed it did not use a long enough model. And don't forget to remove the hose and if you have one on, the gated wye. In the spring I replace numerous burst freezeproof faucets because the hsoe was left on all winter. Then once you turn it on to use it in the spring it starts to leak.:)

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That is provided it extends into a heated space where it actually shuts off. I say this because a customer had one freeze and burst but the seat end of it was still inside the exterior wall, the contractor who originally installed it did not use a long enough model. And don't forget to remove the hose and if you have one on, the gated wye. In the spring I replace numerous burst freezeproof faucets because the hsoe was left on all winter. Then once you turn it on to use it in the spring it starts to leak.:)

The Y34 is a yard hydrant.
http://www.wcmind.com/Woodford/Yard_Hydrant_Pages/model-y34.htm

John

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This hydrant has a automatic drain at the bottom, but they come in various lengths. If it is long enough so that it is buried below the frost line, then you do not have to drain it. If it is a shorter model then the hydrant will be OK, but the supply pipe can freeze and break. I'm not sure, but I think the same rule about removing hoses would apply to the yard hydrant as applies to the valves that connect inside the house.

yard-hydrant-snow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
In the spring I replace numerous burst freezeproof faucets because the hsoe was left on all winter. Then once you turn it on to use it in the spring it starts to leak.:)

I remember two decades ago listening in horror as the town utility maintenance superintendent attempted to explain on the news the aftermath of the worst blizzard I can recall. When asked why all these leaks had appeared when we thawed out, he winged it claiming that, "when the weather warms it pushes the cold deeper into the ground, freezing more lines." Oh, brother... :rolleyes: It never occurred to thim that ice is an effective plug, so he came up with some alternative theory that violated the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

EDIT: I should add for the OP that we had one of these yard hydrants (or very similar, topworks was red, layout looked the same) during that blizzard and it did not freeze. We had everything buried below the frostline. We might have crudely insulation wrapped the hydrant during the coldest portions of winter when we were not using it--I'm not certain but have a vague recollection of that. Probably wouldn't hurt to put some cheap pipe insulation onto the vertical pipe since it will conduct cold down toward the buried frost line.

Last edited:

Garydaplummer

Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed
Reaction score
OOPS, didn't even look at the model number. I'm in fall in Pennsylvania mode, reminding my customers to disconnect their hoses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks