Lawn Sprinkler: BackFlow Preventer, Take it in in Winter???

Users who are viewing this thread

cn90

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to winterize my lawn Sprinkler System.

Question is the BackFlow Preventer, does any of you take it inside (the removeable part of the BFP) in Winter???

Thanks

Cam
Omaha Nebraska

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I take mine in for a couple of reasons. First, I connect my air compressor line to the pipe that connects to the output side of the BFP. Second, although there are other ways to connect the air, I am always a bit concerned that maybe just a tad bit of water might remain in the BFP and cause a problem. I connect the BFP with 1" copper unions, so it isn't a major undertaking to R&R it. I made an adapter with half of a 1" union, a 1" nipple, a reducer to 1/2", a 1/2" ball valve, a nipple and a reducer to an air quick connector that my air hose snaps on to. I blow 1 zone at a time using 2 sixty gallon tanks of air each. I shut the ball valve while the tank is refilling. I never turn the air into the line when the zone valve is closed. This is a bit slower than the yard services with the huge industrial compressors, but they charge $50 so if it takes me 2 hours, that's $25 an hour for my time. I usually put the BFP back in about the 1st of March, then it's ready for it's annual certification inspection whenever the technician is in the neighborhood.

Wallskev

Reaction score
Where do you live....

The need to remoive the BF Preventor has 2 condiotions :

1. Where do you live ? - What is the Freeze point ?
  2. Is it protected ?
  • If above griound and open , most likely need to remove
  • If Above Ground and Insulated ( fake rock etc ) - Temp Dependent
  • If Below Ground What is your heavy frost depth ?

I live in North Carolina and have an below ground BFP that is 12 below ground in an insulated box. Our typical frost layer is 6 inches and a max of 12 in sever winter. ( Have not w=seen this in over 10 years.)

I just close the valve before the BFP, blow out the system, and that is it.

Good Luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks