gas oven question

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a kitchen remodel in my future, so I've held off buying a new stove/oven until I get the project finished. In the meantime, I am using an old 1970's gas stove/oven that a friend had sitting in his garage for the past 10yrs. I'm hoping the kitchen will be done this winter, but the plan was also for it to be the first thing we did when we bought the house in March of 2008!!! My wife isn't thrilled, but understands.

In any case after about 6months of using the oven portion, my wife tells me it won't stay lit. So she has stopped using it. The burners on the stove work fine.

I'm sitting here today and I wonder, do those have thermo couplers and if so is that a likely culprit? I'd sure like to fix this so we can have an oven for the upcoming holidays, but I don't want to go out and spend $$$$ on a new oven and chance it getting damaged when I finally get to the kitchen remodel.

If this is likely a big issue, I'll probably have to go buy a cheapy oven to get her by until I get the kitchen finished. Any thoughts??

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That stove might even have an oven pilot.

You, know, now that you mention it, I think it does. Would that need to be cleaned if it keeps going out? I'll google it, but how do I go about cleaning that?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming it has a pilot, there could be some crud buildup on the orifice, or the thermocouple could be shot, dirty, or misplaced. If it has an igniter, that could be shot. Did it ever snap when you turned it on? That might indicate an igniter. Some of them have a glow strip, and like a light bulb, it could be shot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks