(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eternal Hybrid Water Heater

DIY Junior Member MountainEarth's Avatar

Cool

Hey Billy ... I just went through the process of Rinnai vs Eternal, and I chose Eternal based on one significant advantage ... tankless like the Rinnai call for a vinegar flush every year to remove limescale, calcium, hard water buildup. You can do it yourself if you have an hour and a few gallons of vinegar to spare, plus the buckets and pump. Or you can pay someone. You can reduce this somewhat by installing a whole house filter directly before your tankless, but now you have another filter to change (generally ever 4 months) and you still have to flush every couple years.

You see what I'm getting at ... it's a pain.

The Eternal, however, doesn't require flushes. It's self cleaning. It's hybrid design (adding that 2 gallon tank) allowed them to creating a flow pattern that keeps limescale etc from building up.

Now I don't know about you, but I don't really want to mess around with annual flushes, not do I want to pay my plumber $100 a year to do it. Four years of flushes, and there's your $400. Anyways that's my 2 cents.

Name:  Eternal_threeqtrtop250.png
Views: 1627
Size:  87.0 KB

I just finished having an Eternal GU145(S) installed. I did the gas piping and had a water heater company install the Eternal. Similar to a previous post I phoned Grand Hall and verified that the Eternal required no annual maintenance other than cleaning the screen that filters the incoming water which is user serviceable, no plumber required. There has been no cold water sandwich problem, though at low flow in the kitchen sink it takes a short amount longer than I think it should to go from warm to hot. This is an extremely minor issue.The default high temperature setting is 140 which is managed by DIP switches on a circuit board inside the cover. I wanted to run a little hotter and it was no problem to change the max temperature after getting the switch settings from Grand Hall. The temperature is changeable in 5 degree steps from the front panel on the unit. There is even an optional remote control available, so if it was desirable to have a hotter (or colder) temperature for a specific job it could be done directly from the remote, I haven't checked on the cost of the remote. I have called Grand Hall 3 times and have never had but the shortest of a wait to talk to a live person. The unit has been running for about 2 weeks and I have been very pleased with its operation.
    Last edited by Terry; 02-24-2011 at 03:20 PM.

I purchased the GU145 last April and have had nothing but problems with the unit from the start. It appears to have inherent low GPM problems. So if I run a shower or a faucet for a few minutes the heater sputters, fails and shuts off. I've placed a dozen service calls with my plumber and Eternal and have yet to have the problem fixed. My plumber (Rite-Way) has been great throughout the whole process and is actually more frustrated with Eternal than I am. The plumber tried to get the whole unit replaced, but Eternal instead wanted them to replace nearly every individual piece on the unit. Eternal has wasted both of our time and my money. Avoid this expensive piece of junk. Don't buy into the hype. **Eternal Water Heater Complaint**

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quoted from the Eternal Web Site:

Eternal

In Eternal's Counter Flow design, cold water enters from the bottom up as a way of self cleaning the sedimentation, while heat is pushed through 44 radiating transfer pipes.
    The Eternal Condensing Hybrid’s innovative 3 cycle process pushes heat in 3 directions through the water and maximizes energy transfer. In simplest terms, our patent slows the exhaust of heat by reusing the energy multiple times, rather than reducing water pressure.

The end result is a small heat exchanger that is capable of replacing multiple tanks, while supplying endless hot water with consistent water pressure and doing it efficiently time after time.

Name:  Eternal_Cutaway_450.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  27.6 KB

Last edited by Terry; 02-24-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Blog Entries

This is the GU195S Eternal water heater installed

The Eternal Installed

Noel making the connections

The old leaking heater.

Ready for showers.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

If you want a "new item" hot attic water heater, here is one that sucks that heat out of it - domestic, and cheaper.

http://products.geappliances.com/App...ku=GEH50DNSRSA

First hour rating of 63 gallons.

Edited by Terry to remove rant about a product that Ballvalve has never seen.

The link above is for a tank type heater that uses electrity. A heat pump water heater needs to be installed in a non-heated portion of the home; like in a garage.
    It needs a condensate drain, just like the tankless heaters.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-18-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Leaking 13 year old Rheem gas water heater

New Eternal water heater.

Endless hot water.
    Or should I say, eternally?

$300 tax credit from IRS
    $200 rebate from PSE in the Seattle area.

Love Plumbing & Remodel
    206-949-5683
    lovesplumbing@comcast.net
    Last edited by Terry; 05-21-2011 at 10:23 AM.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    If you want a "new item" hot attic water heater, here is one that sucks that heat out of it - domestic, and cheaper.

http://products.geappliances.com/App...ku=GEH50DNSRSA

Rant? Just a comment on companies that have no domestic track record, and about the 100 year old heater that is a perfect device for 1/15 the cost.

But I guess I forgot to notice that the boss here is selling and installing these things, so I got dinged. People are suckers for shiny new technology, but may be genieu pigs in the long haul. I realize plumbing houses need to make a profit like car dealers too.

I did see the unit - you showed a diagram. Its filled with devices that are absent on a simple tank heater. We should know that tubes and trays and upside down cumbustion is a concept that may not have longevity.

Thats an OPINION. I thought this was a forum, not a sales pitch thread.

I purchased the GU145 last April and have had nothing but problems with the unit from the start. It appears to have inherent low GPM problems. So if I run a shower or a faucet for a few minutes the heater sputters, fails and shuts off. I've placed a dozen service calls with my plumber and Eternal and have yet to have the problem fixed. My plumber (Rite-Way) has been great throughout the whole process and is actually more frustrated with Eternal than I am. The plumber tried to get the whole unit replaced, but Eternal instead wanted them to replace nearly every individual piece on the unit. Eternal has wasted both of our time and my money. Avoid this expensive piece of junk. Don't buy into the hype. **Eternal Water Heater Complaint**
    Why didnt this guy get deleted? Sure sound like INFERNAL to me.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 05-18-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Blog Entries

That fellow has seen one, therefore it's a user comment. It sounds like the gas connection was undersized.

About your comment........
    Speculation doesn't really count for much.

The pictures I posted above are from customers that say, "The system is working great."
    That's a user comment too.
    But then maybe our installers are just better.
    With any device, you have to install it correctly. That hasn't changed.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-18-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Default Is this your installation?????

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

Leaking 13 year old Rheem gas water heater

New Eternal water heater.

Endless hot water.
    Or should I say, eternally?

$300 tax credit from IRS
    $200 rebate from PSE in the Seattle area.

It looks pretty good
    what is the extra flu pipe for going ont the sid eof the building...??

Is that an air intake??? It does no tloook to hard to install at all compared to a tankless heater... and did you have to increase the gas size???

it looks really good but I think you went a little overboard with the commercial
    pipe hangers for the PVC flu pipes.....

looking at the unit, it makes me wonder if the gas line is not undersized
    I suppose it is ok

The flex you see on the left is for the furnace.

We used a 1" CSST for the water heater.
    And we like to "overkill" things.
    Terry

Default in a closet?

Can the eternal go in an interior closet, which presently houses an electric tank? It appears to get outside air from one of the two PVC pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
    Can the eternal go in an interior closet, which presently houses an electric tank? It appears to get outside air from one of the two PVC pipes.
    Sure as long as the proper venting guidelines can be followed...

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The installation instructions will list minimum clearance distances and maximum intake/exhaust lengths. As long as you can meet at least the minimums, you should be okay. Keep in mind there are restrictions on where you can exhaust any fired appliance in relation to windows, doors, or other intake or exhaust vents. Usually not hard to abide by, but could be a factor.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default noisey?

are they noisey?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
    are they noisey?
    Here is a you tube video of an initial start up on one...