New shower valve, limited hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

Marc

Reaction score
I just installed a new American Standard Neo Traditional shower valve. When I turn the water on all the way hot, it gets nice and hot for a couple seconds, then goes very cold within 5-10 seconds.

The water supply is hot, I believe something is going wrong in the mixing mechanism.

I've already tried setting the temperature stop at a couple places. I've opened the whole thing up to clean it out (like the manual suggested) and no good.

This is one of the anti-scald pressure balancing valves.

We have fairly low water pressure that does fluctuate a little. I'm wondering if that could be the problem.

Any ideas on what to do / how to fix it?

If it is the anti-scald mechanism, can I replace just that piece with a regular "burning-the-idiots" version?

Thanks for any answers.
-Marc

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two things come to mind...you have the hot cold supply lines reversed, or (this doesn't work on all systems), you have the cartridge in backwards. if your valve supports that, you can probably just rotate it 180. See what the pros have to say.

And, no, you can't legally disable or remove the anti-scald feature, plus, the inspector and you wouldn't like it, especially since you say your pressure fluctuates.

Marc

Reaction score
I've tried the cartridge both ways with no difference and I'm sure the lines aren't in backwards, they're marked clearly on the valve and I can feel the hot line get hot.

But thanks for the thoughts.

Marc

Reaction score
I got a new cartridge, installed it, and everything is working great now. I guess it was just defective.

Phil Clemence

Reaction score
Either defective , or some debris (lime, solder, etc) got into it after install.
That happens to me every once in a great while, and occasionally after another plumbing job was done in our customers home.
I don't bother to use the test cap and just install the cartridge before pressure testing, so it bites me ... but so seldom that it is worth the trade-off, and I always have spare cartridges if it happens.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks