Sealing air leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

rschmitty

Reaction score
I noticed some nasty air leaks from around the windows and was just wondering what is recommended for sealing?

Here's a picture of the biggest gap 5/16 inch
http://img183.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=window139.jpg

around most parts of the windows the gap is very small, 1 to 2 16ths

For the large gap should I be looking at some kind of expanding foam or just use extra caulking down there

Latex or Silicone?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
A white paintable latex will look about right even unpainted, and is good for gaps up to about 1/2".

Silicones aren't usually paintable, and won't look as good on it's own.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Couldn't tell from the picture...are the gaps between the window and its frame or between the frame and the wall? If between the window and frame, sounds like since it varies, it wasn't squared up properly during installation. If it is in the wall, and the thickness of the wall, I think some low-expansion foam would both seal and anchor it into the opening...then, maybe a bead of caulk if it is visible and not covered with trim.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks