Hydronic baseboard bleeding problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Pbaxter

Reaction score
Note- I also posted this in the Boiler forum since the topic seemed to fit both areas. Apologies if this violates cross-posting rules.

Have a 2-story house with one-zone hydronic baseboard heating (upper and lower floors are piped separately, but only one thermostat). This is an old house with heavy cast-iron baseboard radiators.

All rooms get heat EXCEPT one room on the upper floor. Naturally I expected to get air when I opened that room's radiator's bleeder valve. Instead I got lots of cold water and no air coming out (circulating pump was running).

What now? Clearly water is getting into this radiator -else I wouldn't get (cold) water out of the bleeder. After bleeding, the inlet side wasn't even a little bit warm.

Could the outlet side (downstream of the bleeder) be clogged?
Could the inlet valve be faulty (only letting water flow when there's a big pressure differential)?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Are you sure the valve to that radiator is open? I have seen the handles become striped. Check to be sure the stem is turning with the handle.

John

Pbaxter

Reaction score
Pretty sure. I opened it so far that the stem shot out of the valve and water spurted out. Also, water came out the bleed valve.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Pretty sure. I opened it so far that the stem shot out of the valve and water spurted out. Also, water came out the bleed valve.

Replace the valve. If the stem came out it is no longer working. The water you are getting out of the vent is coming from the return side of the baseboard. Both ends of the baseboard must be open to promote circulation.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks