(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Big ah oh!

Default Big ah oh!

I did something stupid. I shoved a couple of red shop rags, the small hand size ones, little bigger than a wash rag, in the entrance (not far) of my toilet flange, to keep sewer gas to a minimum. Unfortunately, it looks like the rags slipped down the pipe. It goes sideways as far as my arm can reach (maybe 4 inches on the horizontal.

How can I fish those two rags out? This is damn embarassing!! Vacuum cleaner hose? But afraid I'll shove them further.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A vac would probably work...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

coat hanger with a small ball of duct tape on it....be careful...it may have already gone down the T depending on how far it is from the 90...

You can use a small mirror and a flashlight to look past the 90 to see where it is..

a small hand snake with a hook on the end will retrieve them.

Default rags

A closet auger will wrap them up and extract them.

This is worse than I thought. (I had thought the plumber might have grabbed them when he was over here on Thursday morning). What I thought was a vent pipe that came sideways right under my closet flange is actually a water tie in from my master bathroom shower. So those rags, two red ones, did get washed down. Pretty sure I need to employ a plumber for this job. Those rags are likely washed way down the line.

Everyone agreed (and agree that I displayed stupidity with those rags!)?

everything's A-OK. Plumber came out with one of those camera gadgets, 200 foot version. We verified nothing was there. He suspected either a turd or the rags right before the drop from my second floor. I flushed the other second floor toilet and the thing washed on down. We're now certain (he ran camera out nearly to street) that the rags are out in sewer.