spa pump cycling off and on

Users who are viewing this thread

hockeydad

Reaction score
I bought a remanufactured spa pump to replace my leaking one. It's 2hp, 2 speed. Every thing was working fine before, except for the leak. I installed the replacement pump and it would run for a while, then turn off/on/off etc... after just a few minutes, it would only run for one or two seconds, then turn off for 10 or more seconds. I called the company I ordered from, and they sent another pump (also remanufactured), from the same drop-ship company. It's doing the same thing!

At the connection to the pump I measure a steady 115 vac when on low speed, so I figure the panel is putting out good power. I also hooked the pump straight up to my house current 115 vac to the low speed and common terminals. It cycled off and on with this set up as well.

So, did I get two bum pumps? What else can I check to see if nothing is screwed up with my control panel? I really want to get my spa running again, but I don't want to buy another pump if the problem lies elsewhere. It's been too long since I received the second pump (my fault - I let it sit due to frustration) and the company is brushing me off.

Thanks for any help.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like two bad pumps. especially if you bypassed the control panel.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I bought a remanufactured spa pump to replace my leaking one. It's 2hp, 2 speed. Every thing was working fine before, except for the leak. I installed the replacement pump and it would run for a while, then turn off/on/off etc... after just a few minutes, it would only run for one or two seconds, then turn off for 10 or more seconds. I called the company I ordered from, and they sent another pump (also remanufactured), from the same drop-ship company. It's doing the same thing!

At the connection to the pump I measure a steady 115 vac when on low speed, so I figure the panel is putting out good power. I also hooked the pump straight up to my house current 115 vac to the low speed and common terminals. It cycled off and on with this set up as well.

So, did I get two bum pumps? What else can I check to see if nothing is screwed up with my control panel? I really want to get my spa running again, but I don't want to buy another pump if the problem lies elsewhere. It's been too long since I received the second pump (my fault - I let it sit due to frustration) and the company is brushing me off.

Thanks for any help.

Are you sure the pump is 115 and not 220? Many pumps can be used on either voltage just by switching some wires in the pump.

John

hockeydad

Reaction score
The pump is a 230 Vac. Four wires, green ground, white common, red hot 115 Vac, and black hot 115 Vac. The red goes to one terminal which is labeled low speed. The black goes to another terminal labeled high speed. I supplied 115 to the low speed and common terminals and got it to run on low speed, but it cycled off and on. Would the pump draw from the other 115 to run on low speed? My spa control panel is not putting out any voltage across the high speed terminal and common when set to low speed. Could this be the problem?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks