Testing Drain Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

GeronimoDF

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good link that talks about testing drain lines? I searched and searched.....I just replaced all the cast iron with 4inch PVC, and I want to test all the connections. Any hints? I read use a 10ft column of water which creates ~ 10psi. In order to fill it up, I would need to fill up 16 feet up. Is that the best way?

Thanks,

Dan

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good link that talks about testing drain lines? I searched and searched.....I just replaced all the cast iron with 4inch PVC, and I want to test all the connections. Any hints? I read use a 10ft column of water which creates ~ 10psi. In order to fill it up, I would need to fill up 16 feet up. Is that the best way?

Thanks,

Dan

That would be OK. In some towns we had to flood the system through the roof.
That put a 30' head on the pipe.

John

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
I think it depends on what code you use in NY. I would fill the all of the waste piping with water until it came out of the vents on the roof. The 10ft head of water results in around 5 lbs of pressure. The idea is to have at least a 10ft head of water over the HIGHEST joint in the system which would mean your last vent joint. Sometimes that's not possible so just filling the system with water through the roof should be adequate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks