(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Question about main distribution pipe size

Default Question about main distribution pipe size

I'm on a well. My pressuse is set to 20/40, I plan on increasing it to 40/60. I am installing a Flotec pressure tank from Home Depot that uses a 1 inch pipe size. From the pressure tank, I have an iron filter and water softner installed that use 3/4" copper pipe for all its connections. I would like to use 1" pipe from the filter/softner system for the rest of the house's main distribution. Does this make sense going from 1" (from the pressure tank) to 3/4" (for the water filtration system) to 1" for the main distribution pipe? Or should I use 3/4" for the main distribution pipe since it has been reduce to that when it went through the fitration system? I have 32 total fixture units for the house and the chart recommends 1" pipe for the distribution.

Thanks for any help.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking reduceing the flow

it really wont matter much once you have reduced the flow
    to 3/4 through that iron filter....

most everythign I see is 3/4 and works fine,

it always reduces down at the well tank to 3/4
    or does eventually , so I wouldent fret too much over it
    worry over it too much

That type of increase..decrease is common with city water. Usually you will have a 1" main coming in and then either a 5/8" or 7/8" water meter and then to you're water main that I have seen in residential up to 1 1/2". So, I can't see a well being any different.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the same thing but I just wanted to check with some experts. Thanks again.