Installing showerhead and spout

Users who are viewing this thread

jewelryLady

Reaction score
I am having issues installing a new showerhead and spout. My bathroom was recently redone, new plumbing installed since there was only a tub spout before, no showerhead.

My first issue is with the spout. Can someone please tell me who decided a 7" pipe nipple would never be needed? Because that's what I need and it does not seem to exist. My pipe is 2" inside the wall, 3" when you include the thread. Then the instructions for the spout say the nipple should be protruding 3 7/8" - 4" from the finished wall. 4 + 3 = 7. I tried a 6" nipple and it just touched the outlet in the spout with the spout being flat against the wall. So I tried the 8" for the heck of it and when I put the spout on there was about 2" of space between the end of the spout and the wall. How do I get my spout on??

My second issue is the shower head. Again, I believe the pipe is too far in the wall. I have attached a picture of the showerhead and arm. The arm pipe has to go so far in the wall to get attached that there isn't enough room for the escutcheon. It starts scraping on the tile as I turn it. I measured and I think if I just had about 1/8" more room I'd be fine. Any suggestions? I had the thought of buying a coupling to try to extend the pipe out a little but the coupling is too big to fit through the hole. And if I just have to buy a generic escutcheon to cover the hole I'd be fine with that - but all i saw in the store is them being sold with pipes which I don't need.

Please help! This should be a simple installation and it's becoming impossible. Thanks!

Attachments

• ashfield2.JPG
    ashfield2.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 353

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A plumbing supply house may have a machine and be able to make you a nipple any length you need, and, they may have a larger selection of lengths. Worse comes to worse, you could buy a die and a longer nipple, and cut it then thread it to any length you need. A die and the holder isn't all that expensive, and may be cheaper than having someone make it for you. Since you may only do this once, you don't need a pro quality die. Harbor freight comes to mind, but you may have a local source that's similar.

Some manufactuers require things to be VERY specific positions for the fixture to fit right. Kohler is famous for this. Ever tried to get the threads within a 1/16" in relation to the finished wall with tile? It's tough, but some of their stuff won't fit right unless you do.

It's always best to fit things up before you actually lock the plumbing in to a specific location. This takes cooperation between the plumber and the guy doing the tiling...if that was you, you dropped the ball!

You could use a diamond core bit to enlarge the hole around the showerhead fitting so you could install a coupling. If the tile is properly supported, you could probably break it with a sharp chisel, but that can be risky. A Dremel tool with a diamond bit could be used to ream it out, but it would be dusty and slow. that would give you about an 1" or so additional length and may work, depending on the length of the horizontal arm of the arm you have.

You may be able to exchange the tub spout for one that is a slip-on verses a screw on version...that gives you more flexibility on the length, since no threads are required at all on the tub side...just slide it over the exposed pipe end, then lock it in place with a set screw. Most manufactuers make both versions, but not all.

jewelryLady

Reaction score
No I didn't do it myself. My cousin, who is a gen contractor did the plumbing and walls. And he had the shower to look at cause he installed the mixing valve that came with it. Then I had someone else put in the tile. It's a Price Pfitzer set - showerhead, spout, handle and mixing valve. I haven't even tried putting the trim kit on the mixing valve yet - I better not have issues with that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Each of those things come with an instruction sheet. That sheet gives dimensions. You must follow those, or things won't fit. Good luck...

If the valve is too far inside the wall, you can probably buy an extension kit. If it is too far out, you won't get things to fit unless the valve is moved. Hopefully, in that case, you have access from behind, otherwise, it's break the wall time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

They DO make 7" nipples, you supplier just decided not to stock them. A coupling and two shorter nipples will work, and is actually preferable since it gives you four threads to tighten which will allow you to put the spout against the wall easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks