(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red water residue question

Default Red water residue question

I have noticed a red residue in my coffee maker and cat bowls, etc and I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a metal and what I can do to get rid of this problem. Also, if this is potentially harmful to my pets. These bowls get washed daily.

red red or like iron color red?

Or is it pink and at the water line instead of under the water line and on the bottom?

Do you see it in toilet bowls? Toilet tanks?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

You know what, it probably is more pink. I don't find it in the toilets, only mainly in the cats water bowls and then, tonite in the coffee maker.

What is it Gary? I don't want to harm Bob and Tom.

I only saw it even because when I wash their bowls it came off on the paper towels and then, with the coffee maker, I was cleaning it and looked down inside where you add the water and noticed it, some of the water, looking pink in the corners.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-03-2009 at 11:57 PM.

Maybe, I will buy one of those Brita things you put on a faucet end? You think that might help? What is it, a metal? I am concerned for my pets, I would buy them bottled water but, I read where that isn't what it is supposed to be cracked up to anyways, and I can't afford to waste money.

Did the city start adding something new reciently to the water...it may be reacting with your copper pipes....

In the beginning of summer the water company had sent around some literature saying they were increasing the amount of chlorine in the water. But, I noticed this pinky color on the bowls once before summer, but it had not returned until, now. And, now, I noticed it in the coffee maker.

I thought copper pipes were good?

Read this link

http://www.town.lasalle.on.ca/Enviro...n_bathroom.pdf

Or google pink water residue. Many many cases of the phenomenon all of them related to airborne bacteria.
    Copper degradation or leaching will show up as blue\green staining

Thank you but I am not dirty. It is also not in the bathroom or toilet and the cats water bowls get washed daily, same as my coffee maker, which gets used the same.

Then have the water tested.

What I may do is rethink where I have their water bowls and my coffee maker.
    I have their bowls by the heating vent on the floor, and my coffee maker on the microwave cart their as well. I just turned the furnace on the other day, so, maybe from the heat of the furnace heating up their water, and then, any residue of water sitting in the corner of my coffee maker, might be enough to do it.

What do you think Cass?

I am going to do a test and see., lol. I bet I am right.

You could call the water company/city and ask if there is something going on...may times citys will flush their water lines and it may be just fine particles of rust that will, in time, go away...

I could do that tomorrow, can't hurt. But, I seem to remember having this problem before only in the winter and then, last winter I moved his bowls, and had my coffee maker on the other side of the kitchen. I have to keep it pretty warm in here, ( some people would perish or melt) because of my hemolytic anemia, I nearly lost my finger to frostbite a couple of winters ago. So, it gets pretty toasty in here.

I already moved everything and see.

Once airborne, the bacteria seek moist environments to proliferate. Some people have even noted the pink residue in their petís water bowl, which causes no apparent harm and can be easily cleaned off. Others have indicated that their experience with this nuisance occurs during a time of year that their windows are open for the majority of the day. These airborne bacteria can come from any number of naturally occurring sources, and the condition can be further aggravated if customers remove the chlorine from their water by way of an activated carbon filter.

I was not saying you were "dirty" this phenomenon is fairly common. Read the entire link before you think your housekeeping skills are being challanged.