Toto Guinevere Bad Flapper

Users who are viewing this thread

evanob

Reaction score
I have a newly installed one-piece Guinevere Toilet. Approximately 50% of the time the flapper lands off center and distorts after closing and allows water to leak around the edge causing the toilet to run continuously and often making a strange whistling sound. I do not believe this is an installation problem. The flapper attaches to the drain in only one manner. The flapper seems too soft and flexible. Toto sent me another identical flapper and I have the same problem? I am thinking of adding some plastic to the back of the flapper to stiffen it enough to prevent this problem. I can't be the only person with this problem, can I? Toto needs to manufacture a stiffer flapper to correct this problem. With the water running so often instead of saving water we are wasting water with this new toilet!

evanob

Reaction score
No chemicals. It is a brand new toilet. The flapper literally lands off center and then by the strong suction gets sucked partially into the drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is the brass rod bringing it offcenter?
If that were the case, a slight bend may help.

I've been selling dozens of these, and haven't seen that before.
TOTO uses the same flapper on everything.
So the flapper is on thousands of units that I've sold.

evanob

Reaction score
Yes, I think the flapper is pulled slightly off center by the brass lever arm, but so far I have been unable to adjust it so that the pull is enough when it is on center. I will try again. I do believe if the flapper were stiffer this would not be an issue. Thanks for the advice. Evan

evanob

Reaction score
I could not adjust the lever to avoid pulling flapper off center. Instead I cut a small piece of the white plastic chain sleeve and put it on the back drain-flapper connector hook to create a washer buttress to keep the flapper from sliding towards the front of the tank and off center. Not sure that I am describing well, but it worked. The other solution for Toto would be to allow less play in the area where the flapper attaches to the drain hooks. Thanks for help. Evan

marshscott

Reaction score
bad flapper

I had the same problem, also installed in last month or so. (9/21/2009) I used tie wraps on inside of flapper hinge both sides and is working, after getting clued in by reading the washer suggestion (thanks).

k9

Reaction score
problem with new Toto Guinevere

I installed my new Toto Guinevere and the dam thing wont seal at the flapper, Ive removerd it and checked it for burrs and found nothing. it continue to slowly leak the water out of the tank.
Toto is sending me a new flapper assembly, but damm for what these cost you think the thing would just work.
Is there any thing else I should check?

By the way this Toto is loud.

Thanks Mark

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can loosen the screws that secure the flush valve and remove it.
Check for smoothness where the rubber seal sets, sometimes some sandpaper or emory cloth.

k9

Reaction score
Terry I did that and thought it helped but it still dripping and loosing water in the tank.

One thing I did notice is that the flush handle is pulling the flapper just so slightly to the side. Should I bend the rod to have it lift it straight up? or is the way this model works? (Handle pulls froward)

Thanks
Were going on vacation and I need to get this resolved ASAP

k9

Reaction score
Ok I took the fill tube assembly out again and found there to be a porcelain bump on the inside edge of the hole, I tried to us emery cloth to smooth it out but didn't have much luck.
The new parts Toto are sending me didn't arrive today and was now told they wont be here until tomorrow.

Do you think its the bump on the inside of the hole thats causing it to leak? and now what should I do?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The inside of the hole doesn't matter,
only if the bump is below the rubber seal.

Sometimes you can silicone the seal, if not, bring it back and exchange it.

k9

Reaction score
ok Im letting is sit to see if its still leaking.
The bump is defiantly on the inside edge of the hole.
Thanks

k9

Reaction score
New flapper and fill tube are installed in the new Toto, it seems to be holding water.

The tech team at Toto were great to deal with, and I will be buying another Toto for my other bathroom.

Thanks for the help Terry

Great forum

Last edited:

k9

Reaction score
Im having this same issue right now. The design is crap. The handle on the Guinevere pulls the flapper at an angle toward the front of the tank. I tried to bend the rod but its just a bad design, I can get it to pull the flapper straight up.
Toto is sending me a new flapper but I m not real comfident this will fix the problem.
Last night I did put a zip tie on the left side to help prevent the flapper from being pulled off center but the damm thing still leaks.

Terry next time you have a Guinevere check out how the flapper is pulld off center. I think most people just flush and use there toliet without ever seeing that it is loosing water from the tank. Since I could hear the dripping I need to look closer to see what the problem is.

This problem needs to be address by Toto.

Reaction score
Website
www.stayhotbathtubs.com
Quick question:
The new Guinevere on our showroom floor has a sleeve on the chain connected to a flat plastic base that sits on top of the weight above the flapper. Is this any different from what you have? I notice the older Nexus on my showroom does not have the same sleeve, only the flat plastic base that sits on top of the weight. They are identically engineered from the trip lever to the flapper, but differ only in that sleeve. The Nexus was produced last year, and we just replaced the Guinevere this month, so I am curious if they have solved this of center flushing problem?

*Not a plumber, just a guy looking at toilets.

k9

Reaction score
Quick question:
The new Guinevere on our showroom floor has a sleeve on the chain connected to a flat plastic base that sits on top of the weight above the flapper. Is this any different from what you have? I notice the older Nexus on my showroom does not have the same sleeve, only the flat plastic base that sits on top of the weight. They are identically engineered from the trip lever to the flapper, but differ only in that sleeve. The Nexus was produced last year, and we just replaced the Guinevere this month, so I am curious if they have solved this of center flushing problem?

*Not a plumber, just a guy looking at toilets.
yes thats sounds like what i have, white plastic sleave the chain comes
through and it has the black bulb weight below that.

New parts installed, hope it holds water!

Last edited:

Jim Dickinson

Reaction score
water dripping noise

What causes the intermitent water dripping noise on the Toto Guinevere one piece toilet and how can it be remedied?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I remember, that toilet uses the Unifit adapter. As opposed to a more typical toilet with a porcelain trap, in those Toto's that use the Unifit, that trap is plastic. The newest version of that, I'm told, has some sound suppression material on it (the original ones did not). In most modern toilets, the bowl is filled to overflowing. Any disturbance (wind, deflecting floors, etc.) can get the water to rock a little and let a few drops over the weir, and down the drain (in this case, through the plastic trap) and you might hear it. Eventually, it will no longer be able to get any water over the weir, and no drops down the drain. If this is your situation, not much you can do for it.

If the fill valve is not sealing, the tank could be filling and water is eventually reaching and dripping down the overflow tube (and down the drain). This could be a bad cap on the Korky valve ($2 at Lowes), or replacing the other style they have, since it is not servicable.

If the flapper valve is leaking, it could be the seal gasket, the flapper, or the seat. Try shutting the water off, and let it sit overnight to see if the water in the tank drops. If it doesn't, then the first situation is probably the cause. If it does drop, you'll need to find and fix the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks