Request For Help - Dip Tube Problem ???

Users who are viewing this thread

bubba1

Reaction score
Hello

I am wring to request the benefit of your knowledge and experience.

I have a relative who has a 3 year old house that has several hot water heaters from Sate Industries Inc in it. Yes it is a big house.

The hot water heaters Serial #s all start with A05A1 and have a Build Date of 2005 and are model GS650YBRT

Dues to a problem with a valve on a shower a plumber was called. He disassembled the valve and found a bunch of "gunk" in it. He said
- Your Dip Tubes are bad

-All the hot water heaters Must be REPLACED

- It will cost you $3500.00

After much searching on the Internet I thought that

- There Once was a problem with faulty Dip Tubes BUT that was waaaay before 2005.

Question 1 - Can hot water heaters with a Build Date of 2005 have dipe tubes that are breaking down like this ?

Question 2 - Is this a Known Problem with this Model of hot water heaters ?

Question 3 - Is this typically covered under Warranty ?

Thanks for any and all help

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did your friend just move into the house, or just start using that shower since he moved in ?

Did he show you the "gunk"?

What did it look like.

Question #1 While it is possible it is highly unlikely that the dip tubes are bad, I have serious doubts...#2 no it is not a known major problem...#3 possibly if it becomes a major, nation wide problem...

I am going to guess the problem was from the water heaters that were there before 2005 and the shower in question was not used until your friend moved in...

Answer the questions above and we can help you better.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumber

You have a "rip off" plumber. The dip tube problem was a LONG time ago as far as water heaters go. Whatever was in the faucets, it was NOT a dip tube, because that heater was made in Jnauary 2005, well after the bad dip tube era, assuming it even applied to State water heaters. I have NEVER had to repair a water heater with a bad dip tube, so it could not be a general problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Even if the dip tubes were bad, they can be replaced and they're cheap.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The known recall on dip tubes was approx. 1993 to 1996.

The solution to a bad dip tube is not and never was to replace the WH. Flushing the tank, flushing pipes, and in some cases replacing faucet cartridges, because they can become clogged, and cannot be disassembled for cleaning.

At the time, the issue affected most brands. State division of AO Smith Co. is not the best heater on the market, but should not need to be replaced at this point.

Almost any WH is covered by a 6 year or so warranty. But there is probably no labor coverage. You would have to do it yourself or pay to have the work done. I would call State and see what they will do for you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

State will not do anything until you know what the "gunk" is and where it came from. In addition, with most heaters the only 6 year guarantee is for the tank leaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks