Best practice for Toto Drake Install

Users who are viewing this thread

Alchemist

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install a Toto Drake in my upstairs BR. Yeah, that's the BR that has the damn offset closet flange, but a couple of plumbers came over and advised me to try it, that the Toto was a heck of a lot better toilet than the Gerber Watersaver 3.2 gal from 1988.

Here's the question. I don't think this commode (unlike most other brands) comes with wax seal and bolts. Which wax seal and bolts/nuts are recommended?
I see two kinds: the plain and the 'reinforced' one with the rubber ring inset. My old one only had the plain one I think. My closet flange sits properly on top of my tile floor (not flush with floor).

Thanks for the help.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never use the rings with the plastic funnel. Some folks like the waxless seals, others prefer the wax rings. Either seem to work fine. Since your flange is inset into the floor, I think the thick ring would be the wax ring of choice. Another tip that might be helpful. Take some emery cloth or just plain sandpaper and sand around the tank bolt holes in the bottom of the tank. Sometimes there may be just a bit of roughness than can prevent a good seal. Just a quick sanding is all it takes.

Alchemist

Reaction score
Thanks - I think I'll go with the plain wax ring. To make it clear, my flange doesn't sit flush with floor. It sits above it. So I would use 1 ring.

the wax rings that Lowes or Depot sell are either plain wax or wax surrounding a rubber ring. are you saying that those are the funnel types to avoid?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, avoid those with the funnel...if you don't get things lined up perfectly, it can actually close up and give even greater problems, especially with your offset flange.

Get some brass - not brass plated! bolts. Also, you may also want to find a set with a second set of nuts...use one set to anchor the bolts to the flange so they don't move around when you set the toilet on. Not absolutely essential, but it makes things easier.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only toilets that I've seen the come "complete" in a box are the cheap home center toilets.

Companies that make hardware items don't make toilets.

If your flange is above the floor, set the single wax ring on the flange, and then drop the bowl on the floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

I believe you said you had the "oval" flange. If so you CANNOT use anything but a standard wax ring, but you have to cut it, mold it to the shape of the flange, and then cut a piece from another wax ring to fill the gap between the two ends.

Alchemist

Reaction score
I believe you said you had the "oval" flange. If so you CANNOT use anything but a standard wax ring, but you have to cut it, mold it to the shape of the flange, and then cut a piece from another wax ring to fill the gap between the two ends.

That is excellent advice, and I was thinking just that, that the whole flange opening (the oval) had to be covered. I will buy two wax rings and 'splice' one into the other. Makes sense.

Alchemist

Reaction score
Drake toilet installed and I am very happy. Here's what happened though (another surprise):

The right side of my closet flange (the offset oval piece of crap) didn't sit down on the tile floor well. It was probably 5-6 mm above floor, sort of floated. When I put the toilet down over the closet flange as a test, the underneath of the toilet actually touched the right side of the flange. Not good and I figured it wouldn't seal well. The screws weren't pulling the flange down either, as they free turned. So I put down my elongated/spliced wax ring (spliced bec. the closet flange was a larger circumference than standard closet flange). I shimmed the toilet to allow some spacing between the underneath of the toilet and the closet flange. Then I carefully put the toilet down over the closet bolts. Tightened things up and caulked around the toilet.

Works like a champ. This Toto Drake is fast! Hell, its like a vacuum pulling water out, compared to that Gerber that looked like a slow swirl that never seemed to make it out. Gerber should stick to baby food and not porcelain water closets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks