(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any experiences with the Bosch AE 125 (Electric) Tankless?

DIY Member

Default Any experiences with the Bosch AE 125 (Electric) Tankless?

Does anyone have any info regarding this unit's reliability? Are there better options for electric tankless water heaters? There's no gas available so I need to stick with electric.

This is the only unit I could find that, at least on paper, meets my needs - from a recognizable brand name. Of course, I don't recognize the brand for their expertise in water heaters, so I'm willing to consider other brands.
    Last edited by STyler; 10-02-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Do you have 120Amps of 240V to spare? (That's a heluva heater!)

May I ask why tankless, (and why such a big 'un)?

Much better electric tankless out there like the Dolphin, Seisco, and Stiebel Eltron.

Many units like the Dolphin has some sort of pulsing control of the elements that prolong life and stage much better for varying flow changes.

The Bosch are plastic and Ive seen and heard even more about the housing(s) failing.

3- 40A double pole circuits is alot to give or even have available.
    Last edited by zl700; 10-02-2009 at 03:29 PM.

DIY Member

Quote Originally Posted by zl700 View Post
    Much better electric tankless out there like the Dolphin, Seisco, and Stiebel Eltron.

Many units like the Dolphin has some sort of pulsing control of the elements that prolong life and stage much better for varying flow changes.

The Bosch are plastic and Ive seen and heard even more about the housing(s) failing.

3- 40A double pole circuits is alot to give or even have available.
    Should have added the application in the original post. This is for a barn with a shower, 2 sinks, and (biggest load) a horse wash stall. Only one application at a time, but would rather over size if the unit can stage the heating - and I'd like approx. 5 gal a minute capacity if possible - for the horse stall.

I specifically added a 200 amp service instead of 100 amp because of the requirements of this model.

DIY Member

I'll check those out. I shied away from brands I hadn't heard of out of fear that they were just some fly-by-night outfit that decided to start importing appliances from China. If these companies have some history with this product, that's good enough for me. Any models specifically that are comparable in capacity - and at least close in price - or should I expect to spend more than the Bosch in order to improve the reliability?

Default Bosch = Boo

The few times I have worked and helped work on Bosch tankless water heaters I have found them to be way behind the times. You may want to look into a Rinnai unit.

Default What?

D'Brie,
    Rinnai does not make an electric tankless unit

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking bosch is junk

you would be wise to stay away from all electric tankless heaters....

their are stories of homes that pulled so much juice that the rest of the homes around them that were hooked up to the same transformer, all their lights dimmed when the tankless unit called for power....

stick with a normal 50 gallon tank type heater and put a blanket on it....

Do you have any age-at-replacement numbers for tankless heaters in the US?

Here's what little I have for elec. water heaters with tanks.

age at replacement|number replaced at this age
    2|1
    2|1
    7|1
    8|1
    17|1
    18|1
    36|1

Avg = ~13 yrs
    Last edited by Thatguy; 10-11-2009 at 03:01 PM.

D'Brie,
    Rinnai does not make an electric tankless unit
    Oops, my bad, thank you I stand corrected (tail between legs)

DIY Member

Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    you would be wise to stay away from all electric tankless heaters....

their are stories of homes that pulled so much juice that the rest of the homes around them that were hooked up to the same transformer, all their lights dimmed when the tankless unit called for power....

stick with a normal 50 gallon tank type heater and put a blanket on it....

How does a 50 Gallon tank - even with a blanket help in this situation?

I really don't want to heat water for 20 days so that it is available on the 21st day when I need it. And I want to be able to wash more than half a horse at a time.

If I could make a tanked heater work without being extremely wasteful because of it being used so infrequently, I'd be all for it.

Back in the 70s I hooked up a clock through a dropping resistor to my tank elec. water heater.

Without external insulation it was on 5 min. every 5 hrs. With external insulation, 5 min. every 7 hrs.

Does anyone have data from someone without an ax to grind on how much heat loss there is nowadays from tanked elec. water heaters?

5 mins every 7 hrs (0.3 days) = 45 min every X days.

0.3/5 = X/45, X = 2.7 days, so depending on your level of insulation you can save by having it off for days at a time.

45 min @ 4500 W @ 10 cents/kwh = 34 cents. Could I pay you 34 cents or less to wait 45 mins for hot water? If no, then leave the heater on or put it on a timer.

DIY Member

Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post

Please install a tankless if you so wish,,,..

if you are only going to use the unit once every 20 days or so, would it be possible just to
    wrap the heater,
    then turn off the breaker to the heater or add a
    shut off for the power by the heater??

I have no allegiance to tankless - in fact, I'd prefer not to use one. However, I can't find a way to get the volume of hot water I need to wash my horses without draining the tank. I have no problem disconnecting the water heater when not in use, or waiting a couple hours for an 80 gallon heater to warm up. I do have a problem if I drain the tank in the middle of washing a horse and have to wait another recovery period in order to finish.

Still researching the possibility of simultaneous operation of the dual elements in a tank design, and trying to find out the recovery time - but there's very little info out there.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-30-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Not that he needs my help, but will go on record in support of MP Mark. I find his take on things to be honest and to the point.

Where else are you going to get FREE ADVICE from experienced plumbers like him? He doesn't have to spend his non-working time helping out us DIY'ers - but he does.