(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: cartridge for water main shut off

Default cartridge for water main shut off

I have a leak in my shower faucet. I shut off the water at the main at the street but I still have water flowing out of the faucets in both bathrooms. is this my responsiblity or the city. If it is mine please tell me what to do...I don't know what a cartridge is. On your forum you said to replace the cartridge...

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You usually own the pipe after the meter. The utility's shutoff often requires a special tool to turn it off (if that leaks, it's usually their problem). So, it's hard to say, not knowing which valve you shut off. replacing you main shutoff usually requires shutting the city's valve off so you can install or repair yours to fix the problem. There are ways around that, but each situation is different.

Also, not knowing what brand and model of shower valve you have makes only generic help, and may not be what you need.

On many shower valves, the entire guts of the valve is in a cartridge, so replacing it often solves many wear problems. But, some are rebuildable, and don't have a cartridge...a picture would help clear this up and get you better help.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014