Wiring new Panasonic bathroom exhaust vent

Users who are viewing this thread

arc021

Reaction score
Hi - I am new to this forum and hope you can help me out. I am replacing my old bathroom exhaust vent with a new Panasonic Bathroom Vent (model # FV-08VKS2).

When i opened up the electrical box on the new vent, it has the following wires: 1 white, 1 black, 1 green, and 2 red. The two red wires are what is confusing me. My current thinking is that the white and black just connect to a simple toggle on/off switch, and somehow the two red wires go to a separate switch that controls the fan's actual speed. Am i on the right track here?

If so, do i just run new romex (black/white/ground) from a "speed control" type of switch and connect to the red?? What about the ground on that new piece of romex?

As you can see...i am a bit confused. Any help is VERY much appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Please get an electrician. You don't seem to have a grasp on this at all.......that is not a criticism. I probably can't figure out whatever you do as a profession ( especially if it involves computers!)

I don't agree with any of your proposed assumptions. Also, the motor may or may not be capable of running on a speed control.'

Specifically, your model came with INSTRUCTIONS! That is how to hook it up. If you could scan the wiring diagram and post it, we could offer some suggestions. But for now, I suggest you do nothing until you or we get this figured out.

arc021

Reaction score
I self admittedly dont have a grasp on this, which is why i came here..lol.

I have read the instructions, and the they say "connect the two red wires to the switch for the speed control." I am having trouble uploading the diagram (too big).

The link below has a link to "operating instructions" on the top right of the page. The diagram is on page 4 of the .pdf that opens.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...=339754&catGroupId=119505&surfModel=FV-08VKS2

And yes, the motor is capable of running a speed control.

Thanks again for your help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wires

You have given in to the "deactivate the bomb by cutting the blue wire" advice on the TV shows. The color of the wire has NOTHING to do with what the wire's purpose is, (although there are conventions they are not cast in stone), so we cannot tell you what the wires do just from their colors. They have to be TESTED or TRACED to see where they come from or where they go, before you can tell which ones to use or where to connect them to. The best case scenario if you do it wrong is that you pop the circuit breaker. The worst case is that they plant you six feet underground.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
White, neutral
Black, hot
Reds, high/low control

To turn the whole thing on, you need to switch the hot (black wire). How you actually wire it depends on whether power goes to the fan first, or to the switch.

Low speed is if the two red wires are NOT connected to each other. To get high speed, connect the two reds together. You can choose to always run it on low or high without a switch by either capping the leads (open switch simulation for low), or connecting the two reds together (for high). So, for full control, you need two on/off switchs. One for the fan itself, and the second for high/low speed control.

arc021

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I think i am going to take jadnashua's approach and connect the two reds together and just operate the fan via one on/off switch. That was what i initially had wanted anyways. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks