Which CONTROLLER is "best" ??

Users who are viewing this thread

florida_wen

Reaction score
I need a brand new, 6 zone, high quality Controller. I have read quite a few forum posts on the web but unfortunately I'm still quite undecided between controllers. I actually had a RainBird and a RainDial controller in homes I owned before. We recently purchased a very nice home in Plant City, Florida but it was built in 1989 and still has the original Richdel 300 Series MECHANICAL Controller. I read a lot of great reports about the Hunter PRO-C and SRC as well as the RainBird ESP. I also heard that RainDial and Toro make some quality controllers. Luckily it's our "rainy season" here in Florida right now and Nature is providing more than enough rainfall for irrigation, but I still want to replace the Richdel A.S.A.P. as well as a few "tired" rotor-heads, etc. Please advise.... Thank you....

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have always used Rainbird sprinklers and accessories, but I doubt that a RB is better than any of the other known manufacturers. This is a competitive business, and they are going to pretty much do the same thing which is to turn your circuits on/off at designated time(s). Me thinks you worry over nothing.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My personal preference is Rainbird. Their new contollers seem to work fine, but I prefer their older ones over the ones now on sale.

Paul

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I seem to find Rainbird easier to program than Toro. Although Orbit makes decent products, for longevity I would stay with a "major" brand like Rainbird, or the commercial lines like Hunter or Irritrol.

rbogue

Reaction score
Hunter Industries design is best for money

I had a house that was built in 1989 and had a 12 station Richdel that had some undesirable limitations. After a thorough search, I settled on a Hunter Industries Pro C. It has many very useful features (like settings to avoid runoff, and shutting the system down for a specified number of days). It has options for a remote control (for less than $100) and the schedule programming is very "friendly". Hunter wins hands down in my book. Access the web site at hunterindustries.com.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks