(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi, more electric baseboard heater questions.

Just an update for those interested, and those who found this on a search engine. I bought and installed a Ferenheat 1250W baseboard heater. I put it on a dedicated 240V breaker. I placed it under the window and managed to wire in a thermostat on the inside wall. I know it's late fall but so far it's been a constant 70-71 degrees in the room. It will spike at 73-74 in the morning when the furnace catches up from the setback. Outside it has been as warm 70 and as low as 30. I have yet to receive my electric bill, perhaps I will update with that information.

I would like to thank all for their thoughts, opinions, and input. This has been a great resource.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Danimale View Post
    Indeed I see you point.

She only spoke of safety concerns. Little one is walking now but still in crib. Her main reasons were not to have anything readily there hot to touch or drape things over. He already walks up to the heater and plays with the thermostat dial. Her second was that it plugs into the wall, she would rather have it be hard wired if it were to be electric. I am comfortable with the space heater she is not, I don't have a case to argue.

Dan

I see you've already installed a baseboad and am curious what you think of it. Brand, etc... I am also in the market and will be starting a thread about it.

With that said and since others may look here for advice, I figured I'd post my experience at our previous house since it was similar. We needed to supplement heat in a 2nd floor room, also a nursery, but instead of trying to run electrical and install a baseboard heat, we found a tower space heater that is thermostatically controlled and even has a remote control. It worked excellent to keep the room at a comfortable temp and didn't cost us a fortune electrically either. I forget the brand, but probably found it at Lowes or H.D.. We had wood floors and felt it was very safe, not hot to the touch, if it got even slightly bumped it would shut off, it would oscillate(SP?), and could be turned on/off/auto. Probably cost about $50 to buy and we still use it today to supplement a baseboard in 2nd floor bath until we can figure out a more permanent solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimale View Post
    Just an update for those interested, and those who found this on a search engine. I bought and installed a Ferenheat 1250W baseboard heater. I put it on a dedicated 240V breaker. I placed it under the window and managed to wire in a thermostat on the inside wall. I know it's late fall but so far it's been a constant 70-71 degrees in the room. It will spike at 73-74 in the morning when the furnace catches up from the setback. Outside it has been as warm 70 and as low as 30. I have yet to receive my electric bill, perhaps I will update with that information.
    Dan
    Did you buy the electric or hydronic(liquid filled)? Turns out this is the same brand, I am trying to research for a loft above a garage.

I bought the electric version and still very happy with the results. First electric bill came and was less then the previous. Although I did have a 1500W space heater going. Time will tell soon how economical it is. Temps are dropping here in central Indiana.