(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: 14" Rough-In Toilet Choices

Heh that would still be a significant improvement. We could always fill the void behind the toilet with some kind of shelving or storage solution.

I have considered your second suggestion for some time, and you are right, there has to be a way to make it look more like it is finished. The bathroom is on the second floor, the duct work is between the floor joists which were on 12" centers. Once they had put in the ductwork and had it routed the way they did, it would have been very difficult to fix, even with the ceiling still open. So we did not try to change it, but of course I was not aware of exactly where we were going to find the toilet positioned until much later.

Hello! Thanks for this great thread which started 4 years ago! So our master toilet is going to be sitting over a support beam that cannot be moved. Eaves, windows, and other limitations force us to have one spot for the toilet, over this beam. In any event I bought a whitehaus one piece, dual flush for $283 at HD which is very modern and cool looking and got good reviews from various sites. I was so happy with it but it is a 12" rough in like every other toilet. Now I have to replace it with a 14" rough in toilet. I see the Toto unifit adapters and the various models. The only modernish looking ones I see are the Aimes and Legato which are double the price of the whitehaus. The rest look fairly traditional. We are designing a spa like bathroom on a budget.

Which Unifit would I buy to convert either of these to a 14" rough in size? Please advise, toilet experts.

I have attached a link to the whitehaus to show you the look I am trying to achieve. Thank you so much. Any suggestions for other toilet options would be great.

http://products.whitehauscollection....iendly-toilet/

http://products.whitehauscollection....1-EB_SPECS.pdf

Last edited by Terry; 01-26-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: found more info to clarify my questions.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When you choose the 14" option with a TOTO skirted bowl, you are buying the 14" Unift adapter with it.

10" Unift, 12" Unifit and 14" Unifit adapter

Those bowls come standard with the 12".

Here's your problem. The Unifit adapters can be use ONLY on specific models of Toto toilets. The can not be used on other models of Toto nor can the work with any model of any other brand. The entire method of connecting to the flange is different and can not be changed.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you stick with that toilet, it will sit a good ways from the wall and stick out into the room maybe more than you want. Should you select one of the Toto toilets that use the Unifit (not all do), then assuming the rough-in is exactly 14", there should be about 3/4" behind the toilet to the wall. That same toilet, with the appropriate Unifit, would sit exactly the same distance from the wall if it were 10, 12, or 14"...just by selecting the appropriate adapter. Most other toilets adjust by making the tank thicker or thinner so the toilet will fit on the rough-in with an acceptable distance to the wall.

FWIW, check Terry's website for good prices on Toto toilets. While he does not ship, that will give you a good idea of the 'street' prices, which can vary a lot from the suggested retail.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thank you for the replies. I realize I have to find a replacement for the Whitehaus. It seems that more Toto styles now use the unifit adapter. The list is different from the first page of this thread from 4 years ago. It looks like the Legato and Aimes can use the unifit. I also saw a reference to the Supreme. Can you folks confirm the list? I am looking for a more modern look. Thank you so much. You folks are really providing excellent information.

Quote Originally Posted by jeniloohoo View Post
    Can you folks confirm the list?
    http://www.totousa.com/ProductSearch...t/Default.aspx will give the list of new models, tho there are probably some other earlier models still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach4 View Post
    http://www.totousa.com/ProductSearch...t/Default.aspx will give the list of new models, tho there are probably some other earlier models still available.
    Thank you so much! You folks are terrific.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

All Toto toilets that can use the Unifit adapter are skirted, but NOT all skirted toilets can use the Unifit...so, you could filter on skirted, then check the spec sheet carefully...if it lists the Unifit (it will come with the 12" one, you get to throw that away when you buy the 14" optional one), then you're going to be okay. I have an older Vespin and Carlyle at my home, and they have been fault free for many years. Like anything, you may need to replace the flapper valve - depends a lot on your water quality, but those are available readily locally. Toto uses a few different fill valves, but if you end up with the one made for them by Korky, the only wear part for that is a quick and easy replacement - it's a cap with a rubber gasket - takes only a couple of minutes with no tools required to replace.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

The Supreme and Supreme II are not skirted. The skirted version that takes the Unifit is called the Carolina II.

I personally would look at:

Carlyle II
    Vespin II
    Soiree

Street prices are typically at least 35% off of list. You can see what's a fair price by looking at Terry's prices above. You can call around to plumbing supply houses with the model number and color you want and ask their price for a cash sale today...
    Last edited by wjcandee; 01-26-2014 at 05:52 PM.