1/2 round gutters

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience installing these on a shingled roof?

My house is a 1915 bungalow with exposed rafter tails. I am installing them myself because I got tired of searching for gutter installers to install them and then trying to be talked out of them.

I have one hung, but it doesn't catch tons of water as the bracket seems to hold it out too far. Should I install a wider drip edge? ....do they make something for this?

This looks very much like the bracket the supplier sold me for my house. I don't know if it matters, that says for facia or not as, like I said, I have exposed rafter tails, which is what I told them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gutters

If your tails project beyond the edge of the roof, you obviously need something to fill the gap and direct the water into the gutter. You also need to slope the gutter so the water flows to the downspout. "Extruded in place" gutters can be made to provide a greater flashing, and built in slope.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Maybe the gutter installers know what they are talking about.

I don't think that's the issue. I just don't think most people want to undertake the expense of the 1/2 rounds. The materials alone cost me more than having the "K" style gutters installed. Then 50-70% of the installers try to sell me their gutter helmets, etc.

The 1/2 rounds might be harder to install to some degree, but I can bought 20ft lengths, so there won't be one seam on my roof and I think the 1/2 rounds look so much better on an older house. It's just a matter of figuring out the best way to get them either closer to the roof or extend the flashing....

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If your tails project beyond the edge of the roof, you obviously need something to fill the gap and direct the water into the gutter. You also need to slope the gutter so the water flows to the downspout. "Extruded in place" gutters can be made to provide a greater flashing, and built in slope.

The tails don't extend beyond the edge of the roof and I have incorporated a slope. It looks like I'll be finding a wider flashing.

I'm not sure if this is correct logic, but I kind of wonder if today's ashpault roofs are installed to accept the K style gutters. If I remember correctly, it seems I read somewhere, 1/2 rounds are more common on slate style roofs.

Hmmm....looks like I'll be trying to buy a wider flashing and hope I can get it tucked under the shingles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks