(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Can I use both the shower & tub ports on a thermostatic valve?

Hybrid View

DIY Member

Default Can I use both the shower & tub ports on a thermostatic valve?

I'm looking at 3/4" thermostatic valves (currently the American Standard R540) and in all applications they show either the shower or the tub port being used with the other port plugged. Is there any reason I can't utilize both ports?

The application is a horse wash stall. The "shower" port would feed a hose reel ceiling mounted at the center of the stall. I'd like the tub port to feed a separate sillcock. The sillcock will be used for filling buckets to soak hoofs and as a backup for when the hose reel branch is shut down during freezing temperatures.

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

You can use both ports but you will probably find a noticeable water temperature difference.

The benefit of a thermostatic valve is that you set it a specific temperature and then you don't have to worry about temperature fluctuations but when using both ports you can not guarantee that.

DIY Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut9199 View Post
    You can use both ports but you will probably find a noticeable water temperature difference.

The benefit of a thermostatic valve is that you set it a specific temperature and then you don't have to worry about temperature fluctuations but when using both ports you can not guarantee that.
    If I'm only use one or the other, never both at the same time, would it still be an issue? I'd like to set the proper temp for washing the horses (shower port) and mark the handle location then if I use the sillcock (tub port) and adjust the temperature, just return it to the marked position.

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

Yes if your using just one at a time than no problem.

DIY Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut9199 View Post
    Yes if your using just one at a time than no problem.
    Thanks for the prompt help. Much appreciated.