Heater question

Users who are viewing this thread

D'Brie

Apprentice Plumber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Trane natural gas forced air heater for my home (model TDE060A936KZ). It's 12 years old and I am going to schedule it's yearly maintenance soon. I am getting an error code: "pressure switch problem" so my question is; should I replace this unit with a new heater? It's in fine shape, I keep it clean but what is the average age for replacing heaters? Thanks for the time all.

Veesubotee

Reaction score
I would go ahead and schedule the maintenance. It could be a relatively inexpensive fix.

V

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm guessing on this, but that error could indicate the exhaust or intake air ducts have a problem...a hole or obstruction (bird's nest) or something like that could disrupt the air flow to the burner, and it could give that error, so, it might not be an actual furnace problem other than its ability to intake or exhaust air. This could prevent it from firing, which would be a major pain if it got cold. Also, some of these have a vacuum hose to the switch, and the hose may have split (like can happen on your car), preventing the switch from operating. The switch itself could be bad as well. Just like an error code on a car, it's announcing a fault, but interpreting what's causing it takes some skill and understanding of the whole system.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
12 yrs

Only 1/4th of HVAC equip. gets replaced that early.
Call an HVAC supply house and see how much it is for a pressure switch. Some units have Built In Test Equip. and they really mean the switch itself is failing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks