Securing Bathtub to wall

Users who are viewing this thread

baywater

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be installing an American Standard bathtub. I have placed a 2x4 as a stringer on the wall the length of the tub. Here is my question:

How do i secure the tub to the wall?

Few possiblities people are telling me.

1. Leave it
2. Drill a hole through the flange and countersink drywall screws to the stud
3. Screw in a secrew just above the flange in the stud to prevent it from going up.

Any suggestion on the best way to do this or the correct way to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Plumguy

Reaction score
1) Cast Iron- level it and it's done.

2) Steel- I use screws with fender washers and screw into each stud just above the flange, so half the washer actually secures the flange/tub.

3) Fiberglass- I screw right thru the flange into the studs.

baywater

Reaction score
I have a steel tub. Maybe i'm thinking too much about this... but are there special flange washers?? Or are you just talking about a regular drywall screw with a small washer on the head. or somethign like that.

Also if you do this...where do you stop the cement backerboard?

At the top of the flange or do you actually go over the screw and washer and end up 1/4 above the base of the tub.?

thanks again

Plumguy

Reaction score
I use 1 1/4" drywalls with I think they are 3/4" fender washers. I screw them until they are pretty flush and the cement board goes right over them.

baywater

Reaction score
So you extend the cement board down over the flange?

thanks for your help

Plumguy

Reaction score
Yes, I used to rest it right on the tub and caulk that seam before tile was installed. Some like too keep it up off the tub a little bit.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Put a vapor barrier, tar paper or plastic behind the cbu and run it down over the flange, too. To keep the cbu from bowing, you can either notch the studs so the tub's flange is flush with the studs above it, or shim out the joists. Trying to keep the tile straight on a bowed out piece of cbu at the tub flange is a pain...well worth the effort to avoid.

TheZster

Reaction score
Just did the same project.... I ended up notching out the studs to ensure the board ran true.... Also used fender washers - Stainless Steel from Ace Hardware at 0.15 each - cheap security against possible rust stains...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks