Toilet Seat Shapes

Users who are viewing this thread

AuntCarolyn

Reaction score
We also plan to install new toilets at the house. Do you have any views about the advantages / disadvantages of round versus elongated seats?

:eek:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only time you should buy a round or regular bowl is if the room is so small that an elongated bowl won't fit.

Men don't fit on a round bowl.

toilet_seat_selector.jpg

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I fit very nicely on my round bowl thank you very much, and I weigh over 250lbs.

What Terry should have said is that men make more of a mess when they piss with a round bowl because you cannot take the front portion of the toilet between your legs.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ian,
I know what I said.

When men sit down, they don't fit with a round seat.
The only seat with enough room is the elongated.

Sure, you can squeeze yourself in.
How many high school kids will fit in a phone booth type of thing.
But who really does that anymore?

If you don't have a tiny bathroom, go for the gold.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I like the snug fit of a round seat for the sitting part - sealing everything in.

Standing up is a different story, so I agree that all-in-all elongated are better for men.

But remember, I've sat on toilets that have nearly toppled over before. The round ones hold you firm, kinda like a seat in a sports car.

Last edited:

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
I'm for elongated.
I'll try to post a pic to show how it works room wise.
My bathroom ligght is out, so hoping the flash works.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My bathroom ligght is out, so hoping the flash works.

How many plumbers does it take to change a lightbulb? Two: One to get the beer and one to call the electrician.

By the way, did you hear that someone broke into our local police station and stole the toilet? Right now the cops have nothing to go on.....

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The wife and I stayed in a motel Saturday night. I had the unpleasant experience of having to use a standard height, 3.6 gallon, round bowl toilet. It sure makes me appreciate my ADA elongated toilet that I can sit on without my private parts dipped in water!:eek:

AuntCarolyn

Reaction score
Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen: It was an honest question. I had no idea there would be such strongly held views. I will take all your advice into consideration, and thank you very, very much. I'll let you know which I decide to buy, ... and how it works out.

ac

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks ac. We get quite heated over the smallest issues on this forum!

It's all part of the fun. Thank you for raising the question.

Last edited:

Achutch

Reaction score
My vote is for elongated comfort height. I have 4 toilets; 2 elongated comfort height models in my home and two round bowl models in my seasonal cabin. For me, the elongated seats win hands down for comfort.

achutch

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Great choice!
If you are like a lot of us, you'll be surprised how much you actually appreciate a well-made toilet that just does its job well.

One other consideration - are you planning to get "comfort height"/ADA height? I recommend it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks