Low water volume problem from municipal water supply

Users who are viewing this thread

bildy

Reaction score
Is there any way to increase a low water volume problem from municipal water supply.

Pressure is not an issue, it is simply the volume of water we are getting that is a problem. You can barely run a faucet if you have the shower going. Pressure was tested from the main to the house and all is good in that regard. Town is unwilling to help any further. Anything else that could be done on my end?"

By the way the house was but in 2001...so all copper piping. All valves were checked to be fully opened, and the water was bypassed to test as well.

Looking for some other alternative to increase water volume, if that is even possible.

Thanks in advance !

Reaction score
Pressure was tested from the main to the house and all is good in that regard. Town is unwilling to help any further. Anything else that could be done on my end?

How was it tested? Simply reading a pressure gauge in static conditions is meaningless if there is an obstruction between the city supply and your home. The pressure will be fine, right up until you start flowing some water, then it will plummet and the flow will be low. What matters is the combination of flowrate and pressure.

Get a test gauge ($~10 at a big box store) and see what the pressure in your home does with any flow. If you have a PRV and hook up on the city side of the PRV then can tell you if the pressure is falling on their side with flow. The problem could be your PRV.

Is this a recent problem or has it always been like this?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
What is the diameter of the pipes:

1) supplying your meter

2) running from the meter into your house and supplying the various fixtures.

If your pipe is under-sized, then that may be the problem.

If you have half inch pipe supplying too many fixtures, then increasing the diameter of some of those runs may help. Generally, you want 3/4" to the bathroom, then reduce to 1/2" to each fixture.

Pipe sizing here
https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I get 6 GPM with a garden hose. Fill a bucket and time it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks