Grey scum in toilet tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparty007

Reaction score
So for the last week or so I noticed little grey flecks in my toilet bowl after a flush. Thought maybe the bowl was dirty under the rim, and gave it a good scrubbing. After that did not change anything, I lifted the tank lid and the surface of my tank water looks like a pond (but not green).

There is a grey scum (very much like pond scum) all over the inside of the tank.

The toilet is only about 1 year old in a newly added bathroom in my basement. My wife did throw one of those blue hockey pucks in the tank about 5 months ago (that will never happen again after I found this site).

I can post pics tonight if it helps. I'm wondering if some part on the inside of the tank is slowly rotting away.....

Sparty007

Reaction score
City water. Will post pictures tonight.

The slime is mainly at the top of the water. That's why only a little bit here and there made it to the bowl.

At and below the water line - is there any clear to black slime? USe a finger tip adn then the palm of your hand after the water goes down as you flush.

Not sure what you want me to do..... one more time. You want me to just stick my finger it to see if the slime is on the top? or if it's all through the water.

Sparty007

Reaction score
Here's some photos - pretty nasty, but you can see from the last photo, this is not a nasty bathroom.

Attachments

• IMG_3181-SM.jpg
    IMG_3181-SM.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 8,535
  • IMG_3183 = sm.jpg
    IMG_3183 = sm.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 7,138
  • IMG_3185 - sm.jpg
    IMG_3185 - sm.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 6,634
  • IMG_3188 - sm.jpg
    IMG_3188 - sm.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 6,711
  • IMG_3189 - sm.jpg
    IMG_3189 - sm.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 6,376
Reaction score
Being that is in the basement and looks clean otherwise, are you just not using this toilet much? I'm wondering if it goes days at a time without ever being flushed and this is allowing bacteria to grow a surface film on the water.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When we had a farm in Mattawa, we pumped water from the irrigation ditch to flush the toilet.
It was also pretty scummy in the tank, all sorts of things growing in it.

Almost like a full fledged garden.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It could be from the blue puck thing. Add two cap fulls of bleach to the water, sirt it up with the toilet brush as you clean the stuff off everything it clings to. Let it sit 20 minutes and then flush a few times getting all of it out of the tank with the help of the brush.

Or it could be IRB or SRB (iron or sulfate reducing bacteria). Harmless groups of bacteria.

Is there an odor in your water; if so, hot, cold or both?

Are you on city water or your own well?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks