Changing from two lavatories to one

Users who are viewing this thread

Yvonne

Reaction score
I would like to remodel my '80's bathroom and remove the 6' countertop that has two built in sinks and replace it with a granite countertop with one sink in the middle.

Everything I have been reading on this forum talks about centering the waste line.

Two questions:
1. Can I put the new sink in the center of the 6' granite counter and put a long pipe to the old waste line?

2. The single-lever Kohler faucet will need new water lines. The ones included are too short. Is it possible to buy 'extensions' or do I have to replace the lines that came with the faucet (which appear to be impossible to reach inside the 10" riser)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Yvonne

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

A plumber would probably remove the two drain connections and make a new one on the pipe inside the wall which might be right where the new sink will be, and possibly do the same with the water lines so they do not have to snake through the cabinets.

Yvonne

Reaction score
thank you

I appreciate the quick reply.

I am idea rich and cash poor. I was hoping I could use the plumbing in the wall as is and 'make do' with what I have.

Perhaps the way to resolve this is to put the sink on one side of the counter instead of the center in order to utilize the existing plumbing.

Out of curiosity, why does the waste line have to be centered?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be centered and you could do it a cheap and easy way but what HJ is saying is that the drain may very well be centered (or nearly). If you route the single trap to the sink location using the existing you will be giving up cabinet space.

It's likely only drywall and a few fittings to do it right. The drywall will be hidden by the cabinet so you don't have to do a perfect job on the repair and if your current drain in the wall is PVC it would be pretty easy to modify.

Yvonne

Reaction score
changing from double lav to single lav

Thank you for your patience in replying.

index.php

I hope I am not 'beating a dead horse' and asking too many questions

The sink would be 12" - 14" away from the waste line - either side. I don't mind the plumbing being on the outside of the wall.

And the water lines -- The Kohler faucet comes with flexible water lines. Can they be 'extended' with adding an additional flexible line?

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If that's the way you want to do it the other trap outlet should be capped. Without seeing the it's hard to see if final result the routing may (or may not) lead to less than desireable results in drainage. As for the flexible water lines you can generally find longer ones at one of the big box stores or your local plumbing supply house. Get longer lines, cobbling two together is asking for trouble.

Yvonne

Reaction score
I will look for longer water suppy lines...and as long as I keep the drain - what was is it I read - at a 2% down angle I should be okay.

It has been over 10 yrs since I did any remodeling. I have forgotten how all the little things add up very quickly.
I should know by now, to multiply what I think it would cost times 3.
My little project has already turned into a $1,500 project.

Thank you very much for the advice and guidance.

Yvonne

Reaction score
Just thought I would catch everyone up on today's phone call to Kohler.

I called Kohler today to ask about 'how to take out the shortish water supply lines' and replace them with longer lines.

They told if I take out the lines that were delivered with the faucet, I would negate the warranty.

They suggested buying extension lines and adding to the existing lines.

Thank you again for your kind advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks