looking for a 2nd opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

jas2218

Reaction score
I am looking for a second opinion on what a company recomends for taking care of my water.
I had my water tested at an independent lab and the lab at the company that provided me with this quote. The results are:
PH 5.8 and 5.9
TDS 570 ppm
Hardness 119.7 and 196 mg/l
Iron 16.0 and 12.0 mg/l
Maganese 5.86 mg/l
Sodium 60.5 mg/l
No Iron bacteria
All other levels were below normal.

This is what the company recomends:
1. A 20" high capacity 5 micron filter

2. 12x48 tank with 2.0 cu ft of "Multi Media" (this is a blend of Birm, Calcite, Filter Ag and Carbon) topped with a Fleck 7000 SXT control head. Also, this is an Oxygen Chamber System in which there is a air injector built into the control valve that keeps a pocket of pressurized air in the tank which will increase the capacity of the media in removing the iron and hydrogen sulfide (which I don't have).

3. 48,000 Grain water conditioner with a Fleck 5600 control head on a 10x54 tank. Flow rates up to 20 gpm. (How many cu ft of resin, I don't know, it doesn't say on the quote so I'll have to call.)

Does this look OK?
Can a "Multi Media" blend take care of the iron and Ph at the same time? Would I be better off with a seperate tank with Calcite and another with, say, Birm?
Is this oxygen tank technoligy reliable? Is this the best way of removing the iron.
Is a 48,000 grain softner large enough. The company didn't ask, but there are four people living in the house with 2.5 bath.

Thank you for your opinions!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
what was the price???

it sounds like you are getting an iron filter of some sorts, and a common metered on demand water softener..

the 48,000 grain softener should be about 999..

it will do fine for 4 people...

the only thing is what was the final price for all this majic and "cutting edje technology"????

jas2218

Reaction score
Andy;
I don't know how many gpm my well produces. I thought it was 6 gpm, but have since found out from another post that this is what my undersized pressure tank puts out. How do I get the gpm of my well?

This is the first filter they recomend to catch any sediment before it reaches the softner, which will extend the life of the media. You don't think this is necessary?
http://www.aquascience.net/whole-house-filtration/

This is the second Oxygen Chamber System they recomend.
http://www.aquascience.net/oxygen-chamber-systems/

Do you think a setup of an AN tank, followed by a Birm or Catalox tank and ending with a softner will take care of the iron?

The softner is "demand regeneration control". Is this what you mean by DIR?

Thank you again for your input!!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The "Oxygen Chamber System" is not new. It has been around for about 20 years off'n on and I used it back then IIRC twice, and it does not work well at all. The tank is not filled with air, the air is vented during backwash and added during brine draw/slow rinse. The idea is to maintain a head of air in the filter tank above the mineral and diffuse the inlet water to break up the stream into many streams and droplets so the oxygen can help with oxidation. It used to be used only for H2S, not iron or manganese.

jas2218

Reaction score
Gary, so your professional opinion is not to waste my money on the O2 tank? Would you recommend an acid tank first, followed by a birm tank and ending with a softner? What do you think about using a sediment filter right after the pressure tank, before the AN? As long as I keep on top of the filter changing/cleaning and don't let it get clogged to reduce the pressure, it can't do any harm, can it? Thank you for your thoughts.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I've answered those questions already but...

No to the O2 tank thing.

Yes a backwashed type AN filter.

No to the Brim IF you have H2S because Birm can not be used with H2S present.

Yes you need a softener and the AN filter will add some more hardness to your water.

NO prefilter in front of the backwashed AN filter. That type of AN filter doesn't need prefiltering and prefiltering will cause a pressure loss that will prevent proper backwashing of the AN filter. A prefilter is not needed and will be a problem if you use one. It doesn't matter how frequently you change the cartridge.Yes a prefilter can and will cause harm. I've been doing backwashed AN filters for 23 years and they do not need a prefilter. It would be different if I was selling an upflow AN filter or a water powered, nonelectric Kinetico control valve that requires prefiltering; but I'm not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks