Mold in the attic

Users who are viewing this thread

crivera

Reaction score
I have mold in my attic due to poor ventilation, the ventilation problem has been repaired and now I'm in the process of cleaning the mold. I am using a strong solution of bleach and water. I'm wondering if the insulation has to be replaced.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In general, if insulation was moldy, it was probably wet. I don't think you could ever adquately dry it out or clean it. Best to get it out, treat mold underneath, and redo the insulation.

Bleach is not recommended as a treatment for mold, and does not necessarily kill the spores. Get professional mold remediation products from a good hardware store.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the insulation was wet, or was in contact with the mold pull it out.

Also as previously stated, while bleach will probably kill some of the mold it may not entirely wipe it out. In any event,I'd continue with the bleach, but would also look at encapsulating the mold by applying a special paint over it. I'm not sure if the big box stores have it, but I have used it in the past so I know its out there someplace.

-rick

Cookie

Reaction score
I had to deal with mold in the bathroom from a leaking roof in 2005, and I got my homeowners to pay for it, they covered mostly everything, and everything went. So now, the bath is mold free. My homeowners was great, they even sent out a sample of the mold to be tested and it was confirmed as the kind to cause pneumonia, which at the time, I was also, dealing with. So, it is really important you pull out all that insullation just in case, and if it is wet in your attic yet, you might need to rent a dehumidifier and an air-scrubber machine, and let them run until, it is dry. For me, it had taken a solid week to dry in the floor joists, in the walls, etc., but it was worth it. Also, I don't now if you mentioned this, or not, but do you have a bathroom fan venting into the attic? You might also, need to add some roof vents, if you haven't already.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If the insulation was wet, or was in contact with the mold pull it out.

Also as previously stated, while bleach will probably kill some of the mold it may not entirely wipe it out. In any event,I'd continue with the bleach, but would also look at encapsulating the mold by applying a special paint over it. I'm not sure if the big box stores have it, but I have used it in the past so I know its out there someplace.

-rick

My daughter lives in Mississippi. Her house is on a slab and she had 30" of water throughout the house. After the drywall was removed we were told to mix some paint with the bleach and spray it on the exposed framing. It worked great.

John

Attic Health

Reaction score
I have mold in my attic due to poor ventilation, the ventilation problem has been repaired and now I'm in the process of cleaning the mold. I am using a strong solution of bleach and water. I'm wondering if the insulation has to be replaced.
Hello All, I was just hoping to point out, as I too found this post even in 2023, but if you have issues in your attic, you should consider reaching out to local Attic experts, often they do FREE Inspections, for example, I found this one for San Diego area, so often the professionals are looking to help your situation. https://bullocksbuzz.com/attic-maintenance-ensuring-a-safe-and-healthy-living-environment/ Also, Attic Health offers Free inspections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks