Mixing Valve for Garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Not sure if such a beast exists, but I would like to run 1/2 pipe to the garage. Seperate hot and cold Feed on the *inlet* side of things. On the outlet side, it would be a single outlet

The knob would be a single control valve --- similar to how a shower mixing knob would be -- if no a single handled kitchen faucet.

Does something like this exist....and what would this ~piece~ be called.

Basically, instead of just ~cold~ water as a source, I would love to be able to have both HOT and warm water....from the hose.

TIA

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depending on how cold your winters get and how far you have to pipe the water, you may suffer a huge loss of hot water. You might want to consider a small water heater for the garage. In either case, you will have to keep some heat in the garage during the winter. I have a similar situation, and I keep my shop furnace at 55 which is the lowest it will go, during the winter. It's easy to bring it up to comfortable temperature when I want to work out there, and it sure is nice to have a reasonably warm car on icy mornings. Garage is well insulated, but there is obviously some expense involved. I have a NG overhead furnace.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I will keep the water heater in mind.

Does such a *wall mounted outlet/mixure control exist*.

Basically instead of a cold tap coming out of my hose, I want to be able to do everything from cold to hot......

If yer wondering why, I have a terrible auto detailing hobby/obsession that is borderline OCD. And warm/hot water does get the car cleaner....even in the summer, as oils, etc do tend to clean better with warm water.

Once I get this water source setup, I'll start thinking about the inground drain

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a hose bib that adjusts to give you anything from cold to hot water. Obviously, you need to run both hot and cold to it, but it has one handle, and one hose connection.

Reaction score
Why not just use a regular utility faucet/basin combination (esp. if you are planning a drain later?) I have a faucet with hose connection for the basin in my attached garage. It's what I use when I wash the vehicles. Can't say as I've been using the hot water mix, just the cold tap, but there is no reason I couldn't use it.

If your garage is attached then the piping run shouldn't be too bad and if it is through a shared wall freezing shouldn't be a major concern. If you have a stretch that you are concerned about then some thermostatically controlled heat tape should do the trick.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I don't intend to have a utility sink/basin in there due to footprint. Was looking for some sort of water bib/control that would be mounted on the wall .

jdgoodman

Journeyman Plumber
Reaction score
I installed that moen faucet and the customer was very disapointed. It will not allow 100% hot water. I dont know the exact mix ratio but if you turn it all the way up you get about 90* water temp. I called the moen rep and he said they were working on a new one with a higher temp but i dont know if that has happend yet. The install was about a year ago.

helix3

Sr. Systems Engineer, Biotech
Reaction score
Just picked up one of these Moen units this week. Don't think I'll get to install it this weekend, but hope to by next. Will post an update then.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks