weird toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

toiletlove72

Reaction score
so i just moved into this new house and the toilet is like none i have ever seen. it has little water in the bowl and when flushed the water drains(very poorly) from the bowl. no water shoots from the rim to add to the flush, the hole in the bottom is vertical(facing down the pipe) and i think lightly shoots water. I am wondering if there is a way to get a more effective flush because it doesnt really work if you have a lot of bulk in it and if tp doesnt land in the water it will stick to the side. is there a way to make the bowl fill more and empty faster?
It's a kohler tank toilet also.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
sounds like the fill valve is set low and maybe the bowl fill tube is not hooked up to the overflow tube...

toiletlove72

Reaction score
so i found out its a class 5 flush type but its much weaker than the video example that i found
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd6oWtzGapA&feature=player_embedded
but its also a little different.
Opened up the tank, float is on the fill valve and both the fill valve and the overflow tube seem rather low in the tank. there is the current water line and another one higher where it looks like water used to sit. I'm curious if i added something that floats to the end of the latch that hangs off the float if that would raise the water lever. but this would bring it up above the over flow tube, and would that just make it run constantly?
I'll upload a picture upon request if people need more of a visual

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nearly all fill valves are adjustable. We'd need to know what one you have to tell if if it is, and how to do it. On many, the height of the tower is adjustable - some turn, some have a catch, some have a locking plug that must be removed first...can't tell without knowing what's there. Make sure that the hose in the overflow tube is positioned properly and not sticking down into the tube, plus has flow when it is refilling. That water is what refills the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks