Floor Tiles & Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

kindajazzy

Reaction score
I have those famous (or infamous?) 50's tiles in my bathroom. Rather than remove & do an entire bath makeover at this time, I'd like to paint the tiles, but they are plastic rather than ceramic. I am told this can be done with the application of certain products to prep the tiles for paint, including a special primer. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, have heard alot about 'refninishing' a tub, rather than installing a new one. Any comments or suggestions on this? Is the refinished product attractive & how long does it last? I have the old fashioned tub - very heavy - but still intact except for wear & tear discoloration, one very slight 'fracture' mark & some green discoloration around the drain. Have a ton of things on my to-do list so must prioritize & just so basics & corner cutting where able, without sacrificing quality and/or making things worse.

Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll get various opinions on refinishing. the best job is if you can take the thing out, it gets sandblasted to the ci, and then a new finish is applied. For the cost of that, you can often buy a new one. Doing it in place will yield lesser results. A liner is fraught with potential problems...the worst is where it leaks between the liner and the tub and it's like stepping into a waterbed.

There are probably some epoxy paints that might work, but the cost can be high, and you need the proper equipment to apply it. There are some pretty inexpensive tile out there that may end up looking better than trying to paint it.

SOrry to be so negative...it's tough to make a durable end result over the existing stuff. It can be done, but generally, it's not a DIY'er thing, or it will end up looking like it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks