Pump to tank distance ?

Users who are viewing this thread

42skidoo

Reaction score
I've researched pump to pressure tank distances and don't see anything specific on this. I've got a pit well with limited room and want to install a larger tank. The basement would be ideal at 30 feet from the pump. I thought I saw somewhere that ideally you want the tank as close to the pump as possible. I'm in the process of cleaning up the well with a new pump, fittings and want to create an organized space a plumber would be proud to go down into. :)

Pit Well 34 Ft
1/2 HP Myers pump
50 gallon PT upgrading to 115

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can pretty much put the tank anywhere you want. Remember that if you had a submersible pump the tank could very well be a couple hundred feet or so from the pump .

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
You can put the tank almost anywhere you want.
Just remember to keep the pressure switch with the tank.
Wherever the tank goes, the pressure switch must go with it.

Travis

42skidoo

Reaction score
That is great news!!:D:D Next thing is to figure out how to get the pressure switch to talk to the pump ? In regards to pumps, is this not the coolest pump you ever seen?? Looks like something that came off a top fuel drag car. Don't know anything about the quality though.

http://www.watergroup.com/pumps/pump-durojet-shallow-well-stainless.html

PS: Some of the Myers pumps are having problems. Recall is in effect. Can start a fire ?

42skidoo

Reaction score
Update

Got my new pump today. I went to a pump supply store. Spent about an hour quizzing the guys and they seem to know their stuff. I had all intentions of spending $800 plus on a pump but they said based on my application it is not required. They said it would be better to go with the 1/2HP and at a later date save up and look at replacing the well casing (34 feet well with casing rusted to point of being able to move it with hands) or installing a submersable pump or using the convertable option. I was happy with the system I had so the upgrades include a new Berkley pump, all new brass fittings from pump to tank to main supply line, new 119 gallon pressure tank, and pressure switch with low cut-off. Total cost was $450 dollars. I am going to replace the well supply line with IPEX and new foot valve so that adds another $50. Not bad I think. Will hopefully have the install done this week? Will update later! Thanks for all your input folks! Made a really big difference. :D:D:D

42skidoo

Reaction score
Yes, sorry I said IPEX as in the manufacturer. I'm using IPEX PE Greenline which is there potable water PE. Went to a few pump places and they call it draw pipe. Comes in 100 foot roles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks